Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lump sum social secuirty

Deedeedirekt
Level 1

I have a client who received a lump sum SS benefit in 2019 over 100000.00  He has no other income I worked through the  back years worksheets and he has zero tax. My question is-- Does he have to file?The program is telling me he ineligible for efile so should I paper file the return?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Is the problem that you have no taxable income?  Put in $1 of interest and see if that clears the efile error.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
qbteachmt
Level 15

I used Google on the Web to find the IRS resources:

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/social-security-income/back-payments/back-payments

Try it. It's works great.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 15

Yes, paper file.  IRS doesn't want its e-file servers cluttered by disabled people.  

0 Cheers
Deedeedirekt
Level 1

unfortunately i could not find the answer to my question there

0 Cheers
Deedeedirekt
Level 1

Thank you for the answer i have had this situation before but not that large of a lump sum.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"unfortunately i could not find the answer to my question there"

Yes, the answer was there.

"My question is-- Does he have to file?"

Yes; the answer was there.

"The program is telling me he ineligible for efile so should I paper file the return?"

Yes, the program is correct.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Is the problem that you have no taxable income?  Put in $1 of interest and see if that clears the efile error.

taxshack
Level 5

He does not have to file if his only income is social security; even with it being a large lump sum.

Preparing taxes is not my life, but my life is amazing because I prepare taxes.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

He has to file to show he qualifies for the exclusion based on how much of the payment is attributed to prior years.

Those who choose to report phantom income should remember:  The more we try to trick the IRS computer, the more it may try to trick us.  

0 Cheers