Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOH Status, EIC, Child Tax Credit

jpbrehm
Level 2

Client started living with fiance in August 2021.  They have a child in Sept. 2021.  The fiance has no income except for SSDI and does not file a tax return.  Can he claim the EIC & Child tax credit?  Also can he file as HOH? 

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
qbteachmt
Level 15

You need to use IRS resources. This has all the links for what you ask:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
jpbrehm
Level 2

I've already read IRS resources.  I believe that the taxpayer is entitled to all the credits but was looking for another opinion to either dispute or verify.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

The child was born in September 2021?  He started living with her in August 2021, but was sleeping with her in December 2020?    Would due diligence include DNA tests?  

0 Cheers
jpbrehm
Level 2

37 years in this business and I get these opinions.  Why do I even bother with this forum.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I believe that the taxpayer is entitled to all the credits but was looking for another opinion to either dispute or verify."

Geez; you asked multiple questions:

"Can he claim the EIC"

"& Child tax credit?"

"Also can he file as HOH? "

No one except you knows their conditions and qualifications for each thing, so you would work through each ITA.

"Why do I even bother with this forum."

If you already worked through all three, is there something specific that makes you doubt what you got for results? Because you didn't tell us anything about that part. You simply ask three parts as if we can work through each one for someone we know nothing about.

Sure, people without kids are getting EIC.

Sure, people are getting EIC, and even using 2019 income for that purpose.

And no offense, but, it's hard to tell who the issue of HOH applies to, because there is no perspective in how it was asked. Both the client and the fiance might be "he" nowadays. I'd rather make no assumptions while trying to work through questions for which I have no information.

sjrcpa
Level 15

"Why do I even bother with this forum."

I don't know. It's not like you have ever helped anyone by answering a question.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

Delete - it got posted twice.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

I was just going to say, that was so good that you had to post it twice 😁

Slava Ukraini!
jpbrehm
Level 2

Fair enough.  Apology for not being specific.  Even though the conditions are met for each at the time the child was born what made me have some doubt was the fact that the parents did not live together for the entire year.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Well, now we are getting somewhere.  Yes, the child was born, not adopted or placed in the home for foster care.  And the POSSLQ's are the actual parent.  Why do I bother trying to answer questions when so many facts are deleted to trick people into a wrong answer?

qbteachmt
Level 15

Shoot, I put Aug baby, not Sept, but the ITA for Filing Status includes:

""

and:

""

and:

""

and:

""

Just go through the steps.

0 Cheers