Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOH qualifying child's income limitation

tambi
Level 2

Is there an income limitation to file HOH for an adult child age 23, lived in home 12 months, at least half time student, works full time?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Full time student?   The child needs to qualify as a dependent, does the child provide more than 50% of their own support? Working full time its completely possible that the child DOES pay for more than 50% of their own support and wouldnt qualify as a dep for the parent or give them the HOH qualification.

You may need to drag out the support worksheets.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Full time student?   The child needs to qualify as a dependent, does the child provide more than 50% of their own support? Working full time its completely possible that the child DOES pay for more than 50% of their own support and wouldnt qualify as a dep for the parent or give them the HOH qualification.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
tambi
Level 2

The "child" is 23 and earns over $25,000 but still lives at home with mommy while going to school and working. I don't believe he contributes much to the household bills ; maybe groceries and a water bill. Even though he does not contribute much to the household, does his income disqualify mom from filing as HOH?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Do as Lisa says, you need to work the numbers to see if the child provides more than half of his support.  You'll need that documentation for your files to justify the position taken on the return.

I don't believe he contributes much to the household bills ; maybe groceries and a water bill.

"I don't believe" isn't exactly meeting the professional standard needed to sign that jurat on a tax return.  

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"