Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher amount on Advance Child Tax Credit Letter 6419 then was received/sent?

krizzo
Level 1

I opted out of the AdvCTC but my wife did not. We are MFJ and she received the 6419 form letter.

I wanted to double-check the value by looking at the direct deposits in my bank. When I totaled all of them up it was a few hundred dollars less than the IRS is reported we received. I went to their portal and verified all deposits on the site are identical to the ones we received.

My account had 0 payments hers had five from Aug to Dec. I believe she opted out of the July one as a one-time rather than opting out of the program completely. I'm missing out on money due to a deposit not being made. Which value should be used the received value and expect the IRS to do an audit or should I use the higher value and lose out on a few hundred?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think you made a wrong turn and I believe you were looking for this:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/file-with-turbotax/discussion/03/303

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

The IRS has admitted that they goofed on some of the forms (they have not admitted how many went out with incorrect amounts though.)  Maybe you're one of the lucky winners of IRS programmer bingo!  Create an IRS login (if you don't have one already) and see what the IRS computers are currently saying for the amount you got.  Both you and your wife will need separate accounts (although it sounds like yours will show $0).

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Just put in the amount you and wife actually received, and have proper records to substantiate. Be prepared to wait several months if irs disagrees.