Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anybody observed delays in the processing of direct debit tax payments?

mg4
Level 2
As of today, 4/25/23 clients are telling me that payments to the IRS and states have not hit their account. The payment date set in Proseries is 4/18/23.
0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
IRonMaN
Level 15

Pretty much everybody is in the same boat so I wouldn’t panic.  As long as the returns were submitted timely, you are good

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

I'm a tax preparer, not an amanuensis functioning as bank teller for clients who can't pay their own bills, but the same questions were being asked here a year ago and the consensus was that eventually IRS will collect its money.  

dkh
Level 15

Bob, do you have a 'word of the day' calendar?    amanuensis.....   

Taxprohere
Level 7

made me look it up, in case it wasn't picayune.

BobKamman
Level 15

You people read too much JK Lasser and not enough Dickens.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

I tend to read MAD magazine instead of either of those.

MAD magazine still exists, doesn't it?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Every now and then you see an obituary for one of its contributors.  This guy died at age 102:

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/10/1169162240/mad-magazine-cartoonist-al-jaffee-obituary 

IRonMaN
Level 15

It's been years since I have looked at the magazine but I still remembered him.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I wonder if the time of the year the tax return was filed have anything to do with it.

Tax returns that I filed back in Feb and early march and told them the money would be there on 04/18/23 then that was the day they took it out. Not one day earlier or one day later. But if the return was filed in April I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@rcooley25 Could be.  The Treasury is limited to how many checks they can write in a week -- that's why they sent out debit cards to some people for the Covid Relief payments.  So maybe there is a limit on how many autopays can be processed, as well.  I just saw a story about how some analysts think the federal debt ceiling will be reached sooner than expected because tax receipts are less than expected.  Maybe they should be looking at delayed collections.  Could be a great conspiracy.  Can't call Tucker so maybe Mickey Mouse?

https://news.yahoo.com/sharp-decline-federal-tax-receipts-195626049.html  

dkh
Level 15

I think Mickey Mouse is busy fighting DeSantis.  Try Michael Lindell.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I think Mikey is busy trying to sell enough pillows to cover the settlement for the guy that debunked his election claims.  Otherwise I think he would be happy to take up another great conspiracy.

Slava Ukraini!