Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FORM 8962 – ALLOCATION OF POLICY AMOUNTS

Chris_4325
Level 2

The taxpayers received Form 1095-A showing Monthly Advance payment of premium tax credit. There is an adult child (25 years old) on that policy, and she must file her independent return.

Do I have to allocate policy amounts between the taxpayers and that child, or can taxpayers/parents choose to claim 100% of the policy amounts on their return?

If I have to allocate percentage of policy amounts to taxpayers and that child, how do I determine that ratio?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You need to know if all parties are agreeable to how to allocate it.

If they are agreeable, they can allocate it using any percentage, but it usually has the best overall result to allocation 100% to the tax return that has the lowest Poverty Percentage on the 8962 (in most cases that is the kid's return).

If they don't agree, then it is allocated based on the number of "covered" people on the 1095-A.  For example if it has three people on the 1095-A (two parents and the kid), then the parents claim 67% and the kid claims 33%.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You need to know if all parties are agreeable to how to allocate it.

If they are agreeable, they can allocate it using any percentage, but it usually has the best overall result to allocation 100% to the tax return that has the lowest Poverty Percentage on the 8962 (in most cases that is the kid's return).

If they don't agree, then it is allocated based on the number of "covered" people on the 1095-A.  For example if it has three people on the 1095-A (two parents and the kid), then the parents claim 67% and the kid claims 33%.

0 Cheers