Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign Dividend income

Russ
Level 1

Do I put the Dividend income on Sch B do I need to  filled out another form also. The amount is around 10, 000 US 

Russ

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

12 Comments 12
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes it gets reported on Sch B.

FBAR and/or 8938 may be required.

Ex-AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

Be sure to populate the questions at the bottom of Schedule B about foreign income. The HOW depends on your software, which you should always choose before posting a question.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
itonewbie
Level 15

@George4Tacks wrote:

Be sure to populate the questions at the bottom of Schedule B about foreign income. The HOW depends on your software, which you should always choose before posting a question.

Agree, if the taxpayer has foreign income tax paid on passive income.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Russ
Level 1

What is the determine  if we need the 8339 or FBAR ?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

If the dividend is from foreign mutual funds, REIT, etc., your client may be subject to PFIC and have a F.8621 reporting requirement, which could get costly in terms of compliance burden, tax regime, and potential penalties for incompliance, not to mention that delinquent filing will toll the SOL on the entire return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

There are also specific requirements that determine whether foreign dividends can be treated as qualified dividends for US tax purposes.

Still an AllStar
Russ
Level 1

Is there a video on this topic so I can understand what I am doing if so can you please give me the link to it please?

Russ 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

It all depends on how complex your client's setup is.  It may be as simple as these dividends coming from US-listed shares/ADR and being reported on a 1099-DIV.

FBAR and FATCA (Form 8938) are relative straight forward.  You should be able to understand the requirements by reading the filing instructions and IRS pubs.

For more complex issues, there is not one single source you can go to.  You will need to piece together many different code sections, regulations, Rev. Proc., etc.  CPE courses in this area also tend not to be comprehensive, partly because the law is expansive - and part of which actually lacks clear IRS guidance.

Basic questions are: Is the dividend from a CFC?  If so, is your client a 10% shareholder, officer or director?  If not, are these publicly traded securities?  If so, are these foreign mutual funds, REIT, or similar types of investments?  Are these securities listed on the US exchange or are these ADR?  If not, in which country were these shares issued?  Are these shares held in a trading account overseas?  Did your client reside in a foreign country during 2019?   Did you find out what the maximum aggregate balance and value of your client's foreign bank and financial accounts as well as foreign financial assets were?

Still an AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

Read the instructions for each form.

Ex-AllStar
Russ
Level 1

Be honest with you this  is the last part of a job interview process that I have apply for a job for. So I have go by with just want the company gave me to go on.  I know that the clinet is  an self employed person and sing tutor for to be able to make the income. The business is registered as a El Wtih limited personal liability. The $10000 is from the Carrefour which is (French Corp) . After looking at the website I realize that it is a department store. The client leaves in Paris France 

I did filled out the sch B along with 8938 with the information as a  didend but when I check the 1040 in Proconeet it show that there is nothing showing in the interest or divendent line. I think they should be 10000. 

I did 2555 on that form    it shows that maxium amount that is eclunded which on the form around $ 101,500.  The total income is aound 152,000. I think the rest of the money should be on the 1040 can  you tell me if my thinking is correct or not. 

I am calling it a day now and I will check in tomorrow. I apprecate you taking time to help me with this situation 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

This forum is only open to genuine tax professionals.  We are not here to help students with homework, let alone someone with their interview assignment.

I would be disappointed, to say the least, if I find that my candidate to whom I had assigned a practical problem to solve as part of the selection process, had solicited technical input from experienced professionals instead of doing his/her own research and exercising his/her own due diligence.

Still an AllStar
Russ
Level 1

OK thanks I will respect your thought on the subject. Thanks for your time. 

0 Cheers