Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fidelity 1099-R wrong code box 7-Roth

Catbrother
Level 2

Help! I have three clients this year all holding Roth accounts that were converted in the late 90s. Each got 1099s that show T in box 7 with in the code when an exception could apply. Death, disability or other exceptions when you are under 59 1/2. These women are in their 70's and 80s. One of them left Fidelity and rolled it to a bank. She's only been back to Fidelity a few years. But why would they use T when she has none of the three exceptions. Will it bounce with IRA if I use Q? The last woman shows a T and they withheld Federal and State taxes. She's 83. Fidelity won't correct the 1099s sticking me with the problem. 

If I use Q am I setting the clients up for a CP2000?  Someone out there must know a workaround. I'm a Registered Securities Representative. Back in the day, withdrawals were done with paper and the client had to tell the investment company what code to use after reading the instructions. Now they do it with a phone call and leave a mess for me to clean up. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Denise

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Unknown if participant has owned the Roth for at least 5 years, but he/she is either: • At least 59 ½ • Deceased • Disabled"

There is nothing Wrong with T. It is simply a flag for "doesn't need to pay a penalty, but might need to pay taxes."

"There are certain situations in which the 5-year rule for Roth IRAs can be ignored. You may take tax-free distributions from your Roth IRA at any time, at any age, and from any source (contributions, conversions or earnings) for any one of the following reasons:

• Making a down payment on your first house (withdrawal amount capped at $10,000)
  • Paying for higher education for yourself, your spouse, your children or your grandchildren (withdrawal amount capped at $10,000)
  • Paying for health insurance premiums
  • If you become unemployed
  • Paying for medical expenses that exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income (AGI)"

"and rolled it to a bank."

You need to know the type of Account. Bank is the financial institution. Not "rolled" or transferred to Bank. Get the 5498, or ask about the Account. Just like "rolled to Fidelity" doesn't tell you Distributed, Converted, or Transferred.

You don't change the code. The issuers uses the code for what they know, not what the client has in the rest of their financial picture nor what they did with the money. That part is your due diligence.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
qbteachmt
Level 15

"The last woman shows a T and they withheld Federal and State taxes. She's 83. Fidelity won't correct the 1099s sticking me with the problem."

That would be a Distribution, unless it was "made up" in the deposit as Rolled Over gross.

0 Cheers
DeeK
Level 1

I took my first Roth distribution this year and noticed TurboTax taxed the entire distribution. Same problem, "T" code assigned by Fidelity even though they have records that this Roth IRA existed with them in 2007 and I am well over 59.5. They refuse to issue corrected 1099 with "Q" code. I spoke to IRS  and agent suggested filing with "Q" and have notes ready if return is flagged at some point.

I could understand Fidelity issuing T code if they didn't have the info needed to issue Q. But, to knowingly issue the incorrect code is inexcusable in my opinion. They told me I'd need to contact (hire) a tax professional to provide advice.

After 50 years with Fidelity, I am looking around for a new home for my investments and those I oversee for others.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@DeeK 

You also need to look for a different forum to discuss this issue in...

Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

"and noticed TurboTax taxed the entire distribution."

Driver error, then.

"I spoke to IRS and agent suggested filing with "Q" and have notes ready if return is flagged at some point." Okay, then put in the code that applies, because the preparer knows the missing piece of info.

"this Roth IRA existed with them in 2007"

That's not how that specific 5-year rule reads, which isn't your issue, then.

You seem to be lost on the internet.

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Income Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals using ProSeries, Proconnect and Lacerte Tax Preparation programs, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer using TurboTax. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

And try this screen, for the various topics (subforums): https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/discussions/discussion/03/302

Your sign in user info here is the same one you can use over at the TurboTax forum.

Thanks.

0 Cheers