Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Except for E-File Practitioners?

BobKamman
Level 15

From the NY Times:

The Internal Revenue Service said on Monday it would immediately curb the practice of sending agents to make surprise visits to homes and businesses, scaling back a policy that for decades has been central to its efforts to collect unpaid taxes amid political backlash and increasing threats to its employees.

The I.R.S. said on Monday that unannounced visits would continue only in a few “unique” circumstances and that they would generally be replaced with mailed letters to schedule meetings. Mr. Werfel said that the in-person visits were generally used to collect tax debts of more than $100,000 and that they were employed to demonstrate that the agency was closely tracking the cases of taxpayers. Under the new system, taxpayers who ignore written correspondences from the I.R.S. could eventually face penalties or liens on their property.

The agency typically makes tens of thousands of unannounced visits to households and businesses each year and will continue to do so only in cases involving summonses and subpoenas or the seizure of assets. Those types of cases usually occur less than a few hundred times per year, the I.R.S. said.

It employs about 2,000 unarmed revenue officers who usually make unannounced visits to discuss taxes owed or missing returns. Sometimes they make visits without warning if they think a business could be falling behind on withheld employment taxes or to collect a debt.

The criminal investigation unit of the I.R.S., which does employ armed agents that visit homes and businesses, will not be affected by the change of policy for revenue officers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/24/us/politics/irs-surprise-visits.html 

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
IRonMaN
Level 15

Unarmed?  But from what I read on the internet, the reason to stop the additional IRS hires was because the IRS always shows up at a taxpayer's door, armed with assault rifles, hand grenades and a Bradley fighting vehicle parked out front.  If this keeps up, I think I am going to have to stop believing what I read on the internet. 🤔

Slava Ukraini!