Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estate Tax Return Filing

taxguessingguy
Level 2

Hi there!

Need some help.

The estate owner died 2017, with an estate worth $1 million or less. Never filed estate tax eversince.

My question is, "Is it required to file estate tax return in 2017?"

Many thanks!

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

There is no such thing as a joint estate. Each estate files a 1041 for each year that it had income. Usually best to file in the final year, too even if no income so excess deductions on termination can be passed out to the beneficiaries.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

“Over $1 million” is kinda broad since a billion dollars is over 1 million.  If you mean the estate was just over $1 million, no - an estate return wasn’t required.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

@IRonMaN   I think you misread OP question.... it says $1million or  less

IRonMaN
Level 15

I could have sworn it said something else before I posted.

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

@IRonMaN I swear you're correct.  I was going to write something like "how much above a million"... also.

But then, I had to first clean the floor because gravity got my whole cup of coffee earlier this morning.  Last night, my dancing partner kept stepping (up-ish) on the bottom of my feet again and again.... 

Seriously folks, while an estate is NOT required to file a F706, consider the suitability of filing to reserve the DSUEA.  However, the estate (of the 2017 passing) likely has missed the boat because the election has to be timely filed, even with the relief per Rev. Proc, 2017-34.

I've been trying to convince widows and widowers to hire me to file F706 regardless of the decedent's estate value "just to reserve the DSUEA" in order to lower their own estates' estate tax should they hit the lottery.  So far, my rate of success is still about the same as hitting the lottery.  

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
taxguessingguy
Level 2

Appreciate your answer!

It appears that they need not file the 706 since it's below the threshold. However, they need to file 1041 because the estate generated income above $600.

I'm quite confused whether this would be a joint filing or a separate filing of 1041. The wife died last Dec 2015 and the husband Dec 2017. The husband and wife had properties owned separately. They also had properties owned jointly. These properties are to be distributed to their children. The agreement, however, specifically indicates which properties (are to be distributed) along with the name of the beneficiaries.

Should I prepare 2 returns? For 2015 (Wife) and 2017 (Husband)? Or should I just make one joint return in 2017? Any thoughts are highly appreciated. Thanks!😊 

0 Cheers
taxguessingguy
Level 2

Appreciate your answer! It appears that they need not file the 706 since it's below the threshold.

However, they need to file 1041 because the estate generated income above $600. I'm quite confused whether this would be a joint filing or a separate filing of 1041. The wife died last Dec 2015 and the husband Dec 2017. The husband and wife had properties owned separately. They also had properties owned jointly. These properties are to be distributed to their children. The agreement, however, specifically indicates which properties (are to be distributed) along with the name of the beneficiaries.

Should I prepare 2 returns? For 2015 (Wife) and 2017 (Husband)? Or should I just make one joint return in 2017? Any thoughts are highly appreciated. Thanks!‌‌ 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

There is no such thing as a joint estate. Each estate files a 1041 for each year that it had income. Usually best to file in the final year, too even if no income so excess deductions on termination can be passed out to the beneficiaries.

Ex-AllStar
taxguessingguy
Level 2

Great! Thanks!