Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EIP For Joint Return, Only One Spouse With SSN

BobKamman
Level 15

Have we been answering this question wrong?

[Bloomberg] The $2 billion Cares Act, approved by Congress last month, provides $1,200 payments to U.S. taxpayers who earn as much as $75,000 -- plus $500 for each child. But to be eligible, both spouses in families that file joint tax returns must have Social Security numbers -- unless one of them is a member of the military.

That leaves 1.2 million Americans ineligible, according to a lawsuit filed in federal court in Chicago. The lawsuit cites the Migration Policy Institute which says on its website that’s how many “unauthorized” immigrants in the U.S. are married to Americans.

[Los Angeles Times] The government’s CARES Act offers $1,200 to Americans earning up to $75,000 in adjusted gross income and who have a Social Security number and $500 for each child. But it excludes millions of tax-paying immigrants who do not have legal status — and it also blocks U.S. citizens if they file a joint tax return with a spouse who does not have a Social Security number.

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

Trucks or drones - either one still would have been a better choice.

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

Does sound that way now...  but I have to wonder if that's the drafters' intention.  Will watch this space.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

I would not describe it as "been answering wrong." I would describe it as: This is not the place to dive into details for how this specific provision will be applied to every permutation. In general, we can give this info, but specifically, you are lost on the internet. We are not going into that level of detail here.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.