Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efile Opening Date for 2023

abctax55
Level 15

Hot off the presses:

Issue Number:    IR-2023-05

Inside This Issue

IRS sets Jan. 23 as official start to 2023 tax filing season; more help available for taxpayers this year

WASHINGTON – The Internal Revenue Service today announced Monday, Jan. 23, 2023, as the beginning of the nation's 2023 tax season when the agency will begin accepting and processing 2022 tax year returns

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
13 Comments 13
IRonMaN
Level 15

So that obviously means that at 12:01 am on 1/23/23 we can start e-filing? 😁

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

S U R E you can, ass-u-ming you still like running with scissors ✂️ 

( Generic Comment )"
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Seems totally wrong that I can't e-file my returns right now, so they can be first in line! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

abctax55
Level 15

Yeah, right..... I just bet you have hundreds finished & ready to go 😂

( Generic Comment )"
poolcleaner
Level 9

Business returns can be filed through Intuit on January 17, 2023.  Can one assume that the only ones being filed in January are for prior years or calendar years that began in 2021?

PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

You can file any business return with final versions of the forms! 😁

BobKamman
Level 15

The IRS will begin accepting all individual tax returns at 9 a.m. Eastern on January 23, 2023.

UPDATE:  Believe or not the Federal return I efiled on 1/19/23 was accepted on Jan 19, 2023!  Intuit still has the state one, CA.

From the Filing Client Status History: Return Accepted 01/19/2023

I efiled an individual return yesterday 1/19/23 expecting to see a notice telling me to wait until Monday but Intuit received it.  I am hoping they will send it to the IRS on Monday.  Please let me know if I there will be a problem.  No rejection this morning so I assume it is still there waiting.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@utah-arizona-taxlady "....Please let me know if I there will be a problem. "

As we are just fellow software users.... we have no way of knowing if/when returns you efile have problems.  You'll have to monitor the acceptance or rejection yourself.

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think by Monday we should have an answer on that one 😉

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Or not....  the rush to file/log-jam could a problem.

( Generic Comment )"
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

You got lucky! As of 10:12am Eastern Time, I'm still getting "Failed transmission on January 23, 2023
Validation Failure: Error 54: The Electronic Filing Center is not yet accepting returns for tax year 2022."

There was an update, but that didn't help. Alas!

0 Cheers

I just efiled one, my first today, and it went through.  10:10 Mountain Time.  And the CA one I efiled on 1/19 was accepted on 1/19 also. I hope my luck stays with me this tax season!

0 Cheers