Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate-dependent social security number

Debst99
Level 3

When I filed my clients' returns, it rejected it due to a duplicate dependent social security number.  I notified the client and asked if their oldest son filed a return.  He did and must have claimed himself (doesn't remember that it asked him the question about parents claiming him).  He is only 17 years old.  I amended his return with him not claiming himself and he gets small refunds (he entered taxes withheld wrong on federal and state).  The son's federal amended return was accepted on 3/24.  Can't efile Ohio because it is not one of the states you can efile.   Keep trying to efile his parents returns again and they reject them.  Will I be able to efile the returns this year or do I need to prepare them for them to send them in?

Thank you for your help.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

The kid's amended return 'might' be processed by Oct 15, so you could then efile the parent's return.

But there's NO way it'll be processed by 4.15.24.

So unless they want to wait,  paper file is your choice.  AND there might even be IRS notifications down the road.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
abctax55
Level 15

The kid's amended return 'might' be processed by Oct 15, so you could then efile the parent's return.

But there's NO way it'll be processed by 4.15.24.

So unless they want to wait,  paper file is your choice.  AND there might even be IRS notifications down the road.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
dkh
Level 15

Might as well mail.   Last year, I had client that did their child's return with TurboTax before bringing in their taxes, yep, you guessed it, the parent marked the return wrong.  Client amended the child's return, received letter the amendment was successful, however, several months later the parent's return would not efile .  Gave up and mailed.