Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Tell @Jim-from-Ohio

BobKamman
Level 15

His Intuit shares are up $15 this morning.  @Jim-from-Ohio  could slow down, slack off on a few appointments this afternoon, and still finish the day with more than when he started.  

13 Comments 13
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Oh.. I follow it,, between clients, Intuit.. my best stock performer of all time..getting close to $ 700 a share!  paid for my software many times over.

BobKamman
Level 15

But you could have retired by now had you bought HRB at $14 back in 2020 (it's at $48 today).  

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I started buying Intuit when it was about $ 165 a share.. When Intuit caputured a lot of tax pros as customers from a competitor many years ago I thought this would be a good investment. 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I think any profits they make from pros are a flyspeck on the P&L.  It's TurboTax that is driving the share price, and I hate to say it but I hear good things about CreditKarma.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

I started buying Intuit stock back when it was ---------------,  Wait a second, I forgot that I don't own any stock and personally I would slit my wrists before I would buy their stock.

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

We know, well I know, that you are not intuit's biggest fan.  Please don't hold it against me that I am and I don't mind being known as an Intuit fan-boy. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't hold it against you.  I don't give investment advice, but any time someone brings up Intuit stock values I have to speak up on behalf of the Anti-Intuit fan boys and girls out there 😀

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN Just for fun I played around with an INTU put today and made $171 (minus $1.30 commissions) in about two hours.

Mar-21-2024
Sell to Close
1 Contract INTU Mar 22 2024 655 Put at Market (Day)
Filled at $6.11
--
Mar-21-2024
Buy to Open
1 Contract INTU Mar 22 2024 655 Put at Market (Day)
Filled at $4.40

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@BobKamman I am up thousands, just today, in minutes, just from holding INTU. 

PATAX
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio Dont be too greedy. You know what Jim Cramer says (If not, start watching him).

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@PATAX understood. With interest rates set to be lowered this year, I remember the old adage, Don't fight the Fed.  So I think lower interest rates will have a positive impact on the market in general.  And Intuit, owns the personal tax prep do it yourself businsess and from what I hear has the largest number of Pro customers also.  If they can make Mail Chimp and Credit Karma more successful that is just extra.  I know the IRS push to free filing can cut into some market share but I find most of my clients, even the easy  return clients just don't want to deal with filing on their own. One last point. I remember reading a few years ago before the AI explosion in the markets how Intuit was trying to incorporate AI into all of their platforms. 

BobKamman
Level 15

@PATAX Jim Cramer doesn't say anything, he just shouts a lot. 

While editor-at-large of a finance magazine, he was accused in 1995 of using his position to influence the value of the stocks he covered for personal gain, allegedly earning $2 million for himself in the process. An editor at a competing finance magazine called Cramer’s actions “a legal form of front running.” In 2001, Cramer left investment banking to pursue a career in media, but accusations of wrongdoing followed him.

After the 2008 financial collapse, Cramer faced intense criticism for encouraging the audience of “Mad Money” to hold on to their stock in Bear Stearns. On March 11, 2008, he reassured his viewers: “Bear Stearns is fine. Do not take your money out,” he said. “Bear Stearns is not in trouble.” By March 16, the stock had lost 96 percent of its value. It avoided bankruptcy only because it was purchased by J.P. Morgan Chase later that day.

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

@BobKamman If a major league baseball player has a batting average of 366 this is considered extraordinary. But in other professions if an individual may slip once out of a thousand times, then that is all that people remember, and I don't think that is right.