Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does amending Schedule SE correct wages with Social Security Administration?

maughact
Level 4

Unfortunately, one of my tax preparers  didn't check the box for spouse for the Schedule C.  We sent an amended return 3 months ago and my client received a letter from IRS that is has been accepted and processed.  Does IRS send the corrected information to Social Security to correct the wages?  If so, how long does it take?  

3 Comments 3
PATAX
Level 15

If your client hasn't already done so, then they may want to set up an online account with SSA to check their earnings and see if that was posted.

maughact
Level 4

They did.  It has not been updated.  They receive a letter from IRS that the amended return was accepted yesterday.

BobKamman
Level 15

I would allow at least six months for the IRS data to show up on Social Security records.  I doubt there is a real-time transfer, and it may be quarterly or even annually.  The taxpayer has three years to correct the Social Security earnings record.  If the data is needed sooner because she plans to start collecting benefits, Social Security will accept a copy of the Schedule SE.