Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciating business vehicle improvements

spowers23
Level 2

On the Car and Truck Expenses Worksheet I do not see where it has a line entry for depreciating vehicle improvements for a vehicle that has already been placed in service.

0 Cheers
27 Comments 27
IRonMaN
Level 15

What kind of improvements are you looking at adding?  You can expense off curb feelers and the fuzzy dice that hang from the rear view mirror.

Slava Ukraini!
spowers23
Level 2

By carefully reading the question I posted, you can understand what is being asked.  When an item of improvement is made to a business vehicle  and depreciation has been started beginning on that date for the vehicle, where do you enter the vehicle improvement to begin depreciation on that item???

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I read your question very, very carefully.  But I’m not clear if you are trying to add something significant or a repair.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Add Ass it as a separate asset if you think it needs to be depreciated.

Ex-AllStar
spowers23
Level 2

If you make any major improvement to your vehicle (e.g., new engine, air conditioning) you can depreciate the improvement. A major improvement for a car is treated as a new item of 5-year recovery property. It is treated as placed in service in the year the improvement is made. It doesn't matter how old the car is.

0 Cheers
spowers23
Level 2

The question is where can it be added using the Car and Truck Expense Worksheet.  I can not find a way to add it.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

"If you make any major improvement to your vehicle (e.g., new engine, air conditioning) you can depreciate the improvement. A major improvement for a car is treated as a new item of 5-year recovery property."

Even under the not so new TARS Regs?

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

@sjrcpa I think you have a typo there.😁

spowers23
Level 2

Where then on the Car and Truck Expense Worksheet in Intuit Pro Series would it be entered....I can't find where I can enter it.  

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I had to do this once.  It was a PITA.  Client put a new engine in her Mercedes.  I'm pretty sure I had to calculate depreciation outside of the program and manually enter overrides each year.

From memory (which ain't what it used to be), if the expected life of the improvement is longer than the class life (5 years) it gets depreciated.  If it's less than the class life it's a repair.  I doubt this can be done via the Car and Truck Wks.  Luxury auto limits apply but I don't remember how I had to deal with a vehicle limited in year X and an improvement limited in year 1.  I just remember there were overrides involved each year until she finally sold it.

spowers23
Level 2

Thank you so much for giving a straight answer.  I have contacted Intuit and let them know they need to make a revision on the Car and Truck Expense Worksheet so improvements can be added to the vehicle depreciation schedule.  I will give an update when they provide an answer back as to what they will do to add it on that worksheet.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@spowers23 wrote:

I will give an update when they provide an answer back

as to what they will do to add it on that worksheet.

I will be impressed if they provide an answer back.  🤣

Is this ProSeries?  If so, I am 99.99999484614135144% certain they will never add it to the worksheet.  I was going to say 100%, but I'm an optimist. 

PATAX
Level 15

People have been complaining for years about the simple PA local wage tax return and they can't fix that. Do you honestly think they're going to fix something like this that most people never see and is very rare? Time to go to sleep and keep dreaming. Good night.😴

IRonMaN
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill  That upgrade scheduled to go online 1 week after they have successfully added form 5227.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

By carefully reading the question I posted, you can understand what is being asked. 

Wow... really?  I know it's a Monday but still....

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
spowers23
Level 2

A serious tax question deserves a serious answer from Tax professionals.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Only if the question has enough details to answer it.

Question:

My client put a new engine into their business vehicle.  How do I enter that into ProSeries?

That isn't so tough is it?  There are a lot of people posting here.  Some that are real novices to preparing returns and some are just plain old DIYers.  So when someone puts a factless question out there, we don't really know what path we are heading down without details.

And nobody really owes you anything here.  We are all volunteers putting in some time to help other folks.  You have been around since 2021 but yet I don't see that you have ever helped a single lost soul here.  So until you start helping other folks, don't whine about the help you do get here.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

And a complete question helps us *volunteers* provide complete answers. 

The mind reading classes were cancelled during COVID, and all the money Intuit spends on Super Bowl ads touting TurdoooTax prevents them from re-instating them.

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

A serious tax question deserves a serious answer from Tax professionals.

I agree, but I would add "complete" to that statement.  I 'ass-u-me' you often have to ask your clients for clarification?

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

Luckily someone caught us when we were in a good mood.  Who knows how we would have responded if we were crabby 😁

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

I may use Bob's strategy & check the 'level' before answering any questions.  Not that I answered the abbreviated initial posting on this one.

So, I'll just move along now 😉

( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

@PATAX  Not the first time, and not the last I'm sure. I'm surprised the autocensor didn't bleep that.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

I sometimes I type "the" instead of "they" and stupid little things like that.  Your typo adds a little color and goes along well with this thread. 😂

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

I am glad you all have your "Johnny Carson Turban" on when I ask questions.😃  Thanks for all you do!

abctax55
Level 15

aka Carnac the Magnificent 🙂   

Didn't Chuck use that for his avatar occasionally ????

RIP - CAGMC !!

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

That was George doing those impressions.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Your memory is much better than mine, Jeff.

Sorry George....

( Generic Comment )"