Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflict of interest advice in sale of shareholder stock

Majority shareholder wishes to sell to other two. I had a brief discussion with all 3 last month about the tax ramifications.  Lately, the majority shareholder has called me for advice. He claims that relationships are cordial. I have not separately talked with the other two. (I prepared all 3 individual 2022 tax returns and the S Corporation 2022 and prior.)

But, he (the majority HS) said to me yesterday that the business attorney told him that "the CPA" added a provision in the shareholder agreement two years ago about how to value the stock were a sale to occur. I have not talked with the attorney. There is a possibility what he relayed to me was not accurate. Nevertheless, I feel something could be amiss; perhaps the attorney is deflecting or shifting responsibility to me. This news gives me pause. 

Also, I was told (by the majority SH) that the other two shareholders have considered terminating the company.

I don't have a formal service I am offering, and no engagement letter has been sent.  I don't plan to get involved or have another discussion again. I will say something such as "the valuation and agreements are up to you", "I will not advise any of you" and once you decide on the stock sale price, I will become involved with your tax planning.  This seems less than satisfying.

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

"This seems less than satisfying."

Well, you can't make everyone happy all of the time.  Unless your background involves valuing businesses, what more can you provide?  

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

I would have stopped to ask him, "Who is the other CPA?  Why are you asking me if someone else was involved?"

That is useful. Thank you.  My main goal is to avoid a litigious conflict and Aon insurance has useful resources.  But my mind assumes the worst so I think I'll be subject to something bad, which could be a possibility if this attorney is making stuff up about me. The shareholders have been good friends to this point, but I see signs of a disagreement. Which isn't bad.  It isn't a clash and I think they'll come together.

Good idea. I don't know where knowing what the attorney actually said is useful.  It is hearsay and I need to consider it carefully. The negotiation seems to be cordial but I don't have all Points of View but behind closed doors the shareholders might be angry or frustrated.

PATAX
Level 15

Be careful, choose your words carefully, and document what you said and what the others said. The old saying is: Hope for the best, but don't be caught unprepared if it is the worst, just in case. But hopefully everything will turn out okay. Good luck.