Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chiropractor business expenses

LisaF66
Level 2

My client is a chiropractor. She travels to her doctor once a week and says it is for her physical well being related to being a chiropractor. Would this be a business deduction because its related to her profession? I know that mental therapy can be deducted but what about regular doctor visits and mileage for those visits. HELP Please

0 Cheers
14 Comments 14
IRonMaN
Level 15

I vote no

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Self-employed or W-2?  Could be EBE, currently not allowed.  Or chiropractors are good at stretching things, so maybe a stretch to put it on Schedule C.  My friend the physical therapist always said chiropractors are good at what they started out to do, but he saw too many patients die because of undiagnosed tumors causing back pain.  But never underestimate the power of placebos.  

LisaF66
Level 2

self employed. She says that it is very mentally and physically challenging, which is why she sees the doctor. This is a regular doctor not another chiropractor.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

That sounds like this job.  Do you write off doctor visits as normal business expenses?

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

".... mental therapy can be deducted "

I hope you don't mean you are deducting mental therapy on the Sch C????

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
LisaF66
Level 2

NEVER in my 16 years have I deducted these expenses, but never had a chiropractor either. So mainly wanting to know if there is anything I didn't know about related to chiropractors

IRonMaN
Level 15

Chiropractors aren't in a league of their own (even though some might think they are) so there aren't any special rules for them.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Nothing really different, in my experience.

Being a chiro doesn't generate any 'new or different' expenses than the ordinary & normal ones.

Maintenance of one's body/mind is personal.

( Generic Comment )"
LisaF66
Level 2

Therapy can be a write-off for your business if it is considered a necessary expense for your mental health and well-being. This is because the IRS considers your mental health to be a business asset, and any expenses that you incur to maintain that asset are deductible.

https://huddlestontaxcpas.com/blog/is-therapy-deductible/#:~:text=Of%20course%2C%20therapy%20is%20a,...

Never heard of it being done but my research I found this as well as others for deducting mental therapy. I have not deducted it but that's why I asked here to get verification through everyone here.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Occassionally, I have a client that is convinced they can deduct some business expense that just isn't allowable.  Like the new clothesline posts because they dry their work clothes on the line.....sigh.                I tell them sorry but not happening on the return I prepare for you.    Let them take their business somewhere else.

I don't even deduct my 'mental health chocolate'.

abctax55
Level 15

Under that premise.... I'm going to start deducting my massage costs as they definitely help with my stress level.

I have a 2 hour one later today 😉

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

A number of years ago, we had a client that wanted to deduct his Lasik eye surgery.  His argument was that he couldn't perform his job as an electrician if he couldn't see.  If you give clients enough time, they can justify pretty much anything.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

@abctax55   ooohhhhh  I'm so jealous.   

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

Medical expenses can become a business expense if the business is structured properly.  

If a Schedule C business employs the business owner's spouse to perform work for the business, then a section 105 plan could be set up to reimburse a certain $ amount of out-of-pocket medical expenses for the employee & family each year.

If the chiropractor has a high deductible health insurance plan that qualifies for a Health Savings Account [HSA] the chiropractor can make a tax-deductible contribution into the HSA and then use these funds to pay for the doctor visits.