Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captured Tanks Not Taxable

BobKamman
Level 15

BobKamman_0-1646279910616.png

It’s not often that tax can lift people’s spirits but Ukrainian authorities may have done just that, assuring citizens that any Russian military equipment they seize won’t need to be declared for tax purposes.

“Have you captured a Russian tank or armoured personnel carrier and are worried about how to declare it? Keep calm and continue to defend the motherland!” Ukraine’s National Agency for the Protection against Corruption (NAPC) said, according to the Ukraine arm of the Interfax news service.

The agency went on to explain there was “no need to declare the captured Russian tanks and other equipment, because the cost of this ... does not exceed 100 living wages (UAH248,100) ($8,298).”

In its statement, the NACP said “combat trophies” would not be required to be declared for income tax purposes in part because they were acquired “in connection with the full-scale aggression of the Russian Federation” against the “independent and sovereign Ukrainian state”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/03/ukraine-authorities-say-seized-russian-tanks-dont-need...

5 Comments 5
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

👍👏

IRonMaN
Level 15

I read that this morning and it brought a smile to my face.  

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers

I said to my wife the other day that I wondered about the war's impact on Ukraine's tax professionals.  She gave me a look like I was the oddest man in the world.  So it's good to know of others like me.  (Is that good? or scary?)

BobKamman
Level 15

We should probably save discussion of world affairs for post-April 18, but I keep wanting to add to your thought.  I wonder just as much about the war's impact on Russian tax professionals.  This is not their war, it is the war of a crazed, corrupt dictator who has already lost, taking much of the country down the drain with him.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

True, but those Russian tax professionals can at least work from their own office instead of a bomb shelter.  And a lot of those professionals probably don’t believe those comments about their leader because they watch and believe what their TV news people tell them.  Since we have similar propaganda news outlets here I really do miss the days of Walter Cronkite’s telling us “that’s the way it is.”

Slava Ukraini!