Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2023 irs efile mandate threshold for 2022 informational returns

PATAX
Level 15

It appears this threshold is still 250 and forms (1099s / w2s) are not to be aggregated for 2022 forms filed in 2023. But i have read online that this threshold may be apparently 10 for 2022 forms filed in 2023? IRS material I accessed apparently states the former, i.e. 250 and not aggregated. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks. 

0 Cheers
16 Comments 16
dkh
Level 15

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/frequently-asked-questions-e-file-requirements-for-specified-ta...

Believe if paid preparer does 10 or more e-filing is required.

Were you considering not e-filing if you were below the threshold?

IRonMaN
Level 15

1040 requirements vs 1099/W-2 requirements?

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

Looks like they haven't changed things yet.

Electronic filing of returns.

The Taxpayer First Act of 2019, enacted July 1, 2019, authorized the Department of the Treasury and the IRS to issue regulations that reduce the 250-return requirement for 2022 tax returns. If final regulations are issued and effective for 2022 tax returns required to be filed in 2023, we will post an article at IRS.gov explaining the change. Until final regulations are issued, however, the number remains at 250, as reflected in these instructions.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

The IRS doesn't even have the procedures or the portal in place:

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099gi#en_US_2022_publink1000286931

If it is not functioning, they can't enforce it.

https://news.bloombergtax.com/payroll/bill-drops-250-form-w-2-electronic-filing-threshold-to-10

"A bill that greatly reduces the maximum number of Forms W-2 employers can file on paper was signed July 1 by President Donald Trump.

The Taxpayer First Act reduces the threshold that triggers the electronic filing requirement for the combined filing of most information returns to the IRS, including Forms W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, and the Form 1099 series. The threshold, now 250 forms, would fall to 100 for 2021 forms filed in 2022 and to 10 forms for 2022 forms filed in 2023 and subsequent years.

The bill (H.R. 3151) was bipartisan legislation that restructures the Internal Revenue Service. Additionally, the law establishes an independent Office of Appeals to help resolve taxpayer disputes and prevents the IRS from referring low-income taxpayer debtors to private collection companies."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
PATAX
Level 15

irs  information reporting intake system (IRIS) portal to be developed apparently in January 2023 that will let us do this for free. if client is under threshold then they can still mail it if they want too.

dkh
Level 15

ahhhhhh   I misunderstood the question. 

PATAX
Level 15

that is what I found too Ironman.

PATAX
Level 15

thanks, i came across similar article like this. 

PATAX
Level 15

dkh, that irs portal i believe is for 1099 forms (w2s through ssa)

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

According to this webpage:

The Taxpayer First Act of 2019, enacted July 1, 2019, authorized Treasury and the IRS to reduce the 250-return requirement for 2022 tax-year returns. We have proposed regulations to reduce the current 250-return threshold to  10 in 2023. see the Federal Register To review the proposed regulation or for details on the public hearing and comment period. If those regulations are issued and if they are effective for 2022 tax-year returns required to be filed in 2023, we will post an article at IRS.gov/form1099 explaining the change.  Until final regulations are issued, however, the number remains at 250. 

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/filing-information-returns-electronically-fire

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Okay, it wasn't showing IRMN's comment before I posted, but I see it now.  And now it won't let me edit my comment.  Sigh.

PATAX
Level 15

Thanks Tax Guy Bill. Looks like it's still 250. Maybe if and when they get their new 1099 free e-file portal up and running and in good shape then maybe they'll reduce the threshold.

DTNY07
Level 7

One year later

is the 10 W-2s/1099s in total for all my clients or per client?

I don't have much payroll.  I don't have any one client that has more than 10 employees.  The ones that have more than a few employees, have their payroll done by a payroll company. 

I do have a couple of clients that do have more than 10 1099s issued, so I would have to electronically file those

Thanks,

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Per client

Slava Ukraini!
DTNY07
Level 7

thanks for the info 

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!