Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 IT-222 for GCT credit for NYC residents

I have a NY S-Corp return,... I'm trying to complete the IT-222 for the owner to receive the credit on her 1040 for taxes paid as an S-Corp.

Intuit doesn't have this form at all, the NY web site has a 2019 form, and I found a tax forms site that has the 2019 form listed with the 2020 forms, saying to use this form until the new one comes out in 2022, but that seems wrong. (The form came out annually 

Any insight for using this credit and why I can't find a form to use for 2020 would be appreciated.

TIA.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Comment 1

After two hours with NY, I have an their response to this situation. I thought I'd post here in case someone else runs into this problem.

IT-222, the form on which you calculate the NY individual GCT credit for taxes paid as an S-Corp Shareholder, was not updated for 2020. NY's instructions are to use the 2019 form instead, since the credit is still valid and nothing on the form changed for 2020.

Well, the 2019 IT-222 form is not in ProConnect at all, so you need to download the form and calculate the credit outside of the return (which seems like a PTO miss), but that's not the biggest problem.

The 2019 IT-222 form says to place the credit on form IT-201-ATT on line 8a. Turns out, the 2020 IT-201-ATT removed line 8a (which seems like a NY testing miss, but... pandemic?).

Their solution is to prepare the NY return on paper and mail it in, writing the credit into line 8a and (I supposed) manually carrying it through the rest of the return.

If anyone has a better idea for how to shoehorn a completely valid credit into the NY return, I'm all ears. The suggestion I got from help/chat was to force it onto line 8, which is the line to enter the UBT credit.

Thanks!

0 Cheers