Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-C

smgargs
Level 1

My client received a 1099-C from student loan co relieving her debt from student loan. It is for tax yr 2016 and was just received this year.  Do I enter on 2019 and complete 982 or do I go back to 16 and do a 982 and make her insolvent.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Comment 1
IntuitJim
Employee
Employee

Creditors have a lot of wiggle room about when to report canceled income to the IRS. Statutes of limitations vary by state and by type of debt, but creditors are not required to file a 1099-C at that time since they can continue to try to collect on a debt indefinitely. Consumer advocates argue that under IRS guidelines, creditors should send a 1099-C three years after there has been no activity on the debt, so maybe that is why your client got a 1099-C 3 years after any collection activity. The first step should be to contact the creditor to ensure the debt cancellation is accurate and not a mistake, of which there are many.  If incorrect, they can issue an amendment.

Assuming correct, then it is debt cancellation income. If your client did not already report the cancelled debt as income in 2016 (highly unlikely), then you will need to report on the 2019 return to correspond with the 1099-C filed. You can try to qualify for an exception like insolvency and complete 982.