Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1095A

Revere
Level 3

Good afternoon, I have a question about healthcare, client's sister and her husband bought health insurance thru market place for clients sons, now client is filing tax return claiming his sons as dependents on his return.  How do I go about filing 1095A?

Thank you

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

This does not answer your question but I'm curious.

Does everyone live in the same house?

I wonder how aunt and uncle can have nephews on their marketplace insurance.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Revere
Level 3

Hello,

clients sons were living with aunt and uncle in Georgia then they moved back to MA with clients.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The 1095-A probably needs to be reported on your client's tax return, but there are some things go consider first:

Are the kids the only ones covered on the 1095-?  Or are the aunt and/or uncle covered on the same 1095-A well?

Was there Advance credit paid (column C of the 1095-A)?

Were they insured after they moved back with parents?  If so, did they report that move to the Marketplace?

I know nothing about the situation, but you may want to double check that your clients can claim the kids.  For example, did the kids live with you clients for over half of the year?  If not, was the living with the aunt and uncle clearly a "temporary absence" from living with the parents?

Revere
Level 3

Good afternoon,

The aunt and uncle and client's kids are covered in 1095A, they moved back to parents and also have insurance with parents, there was advance credit in Column C of 1095A

Thank you

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Revere wrote:

and also have insurance with parent

Were the kids insured by the parent at the same time as they were covered by the Marketplace insurance?  If so, where was the insurance through the parent's from (employer, Marketplace, something else, etc.)?  That can affect the SLCSP.

Because the kids and the aunt/uncle were all covered on the same 1095-A, the amounts will be "allocated" between the parents' return and the aunt/uncle's return.  IF they can agree, they can choose what percentage to allocate to each return.  Are they agreeable to allocating it for best overall result?  Or are they going to allocate things based on the number of 'covered' people on the 1095-A? 

0 Cheers
Revere
Level 3

Thank you for the answers, they will be allocating for best result.

Have a good day!!

0 Cheers