Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 not supported

ANON1
Level 2

I have a perfectly functional PC with plenty of memory that meets all minimum requirements for Pro Series Pro, except I am running Windows 8.1. Noticed 2022 requires Windows 10 or more, which forces me to purchase new hardware or upgrade operating system. Does anyone know what happens if I do NOT upgrade to W10 or W11? Will it not work at all, or will I lose support from Intuit? Thanks.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

You need it for security reasons. Win 8.1 is not supported by Microsoft any more/won't be after Jan 2023.

With all the cyber attacks, I think you could be accused of negligence/malpractice if you don't upgrade.

I don't think using unsupported software meets the IRS WISP standard either.

How old is that computer? You'll be pleased with the speed of your new computer.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
ANON1
Level 2

Hate being forced into purchasing a computer I do not otherwise need. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You need it for security reasons. Win 8.1 is not supported by Microsoft any more/won't be after Jan 2023.

With all the cyber attacks, I think you could be accused of negligence/malpractice if you don't upgrade.

I don't think using unsupported software meets the IRS WISP standard either.

How old is that computer? You'll be pleased with the speed of your new computer.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15
ANON1
Level 2

Retiring after this season, and handling a fraction of returns of what I use to (and of course Intuit will not let me purchase reduced software package available to new clients). Old machine but plenty of memory, no speed issues, and top notch security/anti-virus package, so frustrating to forced into this. Realize its MS caused and you make good point about the IRS WISP. Thanks for your response. Might just upgrade to 10 as it seems my machine has all the prerequisites, but involves a clean install and those risks.

George4Tacks
Level 15

It does not mean you need to do a clean install. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-81-to-10/319d102c-...

It does not necessarily mean that there would be dollar cost https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Once at 10, maybe you can even get a free upgrade to 11????

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns