Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wierd question

Ernie
Level 9

I posted this earlier but it appears that it disappeared.

We have a client that one of our preparers completed their 2017 tax return and had them sign the 8879.

When they went to file it was rejected because 2017 is not one of the 3 current years available for e-filing.  The clients are unavailable for signing again (for personal reasons I do not want to post).  Can we submit the signed 8879 as a valid signing document?

Thanks

Dusty Ernie

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't think that is going to fly.  Since it will be a paper filed return, without the signature on the signature line, the IRS isn't going to accept it.  But then again, in these COVID times, they might be so far behind that they aren't even looking for signatures these days 😉

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't think that is going to fly.  Since it will be a paper filed return, without the signature on the signature line, the IRS isn't going to accept it.  But then again, in these COVID times, they might be so far behind that they aren't even looking for signatures these days 😉

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Current year and 2 years prior, 2017 is out of the Efile window. Have to send the client a paper return to sign and mail in.

8879 signatures are not valid for a paper filed return, thats only for using the Efile PIN as a signature for Efiling.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Ernie
Level 9

Thanks, that was what I thought but I couldn't find anything when I researched it.

Dusty Ernie

Ernie
Level 9

Thanks Lisa

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

If they OWE I am betting the IRS will accept and process the return. Refund - probably a different story.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I think they'd still return it to the taxpayer for signature, it wont be considered filed until its signed...they'll take the money though!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Off the Wall...Since the clients are unavailable (apparently for a significant time) any chance they left a family member with a POA?

qbteachmt
Level 15

This page:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-approves-temporary-use-of-e-signatures-for-certain-forms

Has this link:

Additional forms have been added and the temporary-use period has been extended until June 30, 2021. Takes you to:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue#digi...

Has this:

"Need to File a Form with a Digital Signature (updated January 13, 2021)

We’ll temporarily allow digital signatures on certain forms that can’t be filed electronically.

What you should do: You can send us the following forms with digital signatures if they are postmarked from January 1, 2021 through June 30, 2021:

• Form 3115, Application for Change in Accounting Method;
  • Form 8832, Entity Classification Election;
  • Form 8802, Application for U.S. Residency Certification;
  • Form 1066, U.S. Income Tax Return for Real Estate Mortgage Investment Conduit;
  • Form 706, U.S. Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return;
  • Form 706-NA, U.S. Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return;
  • Form 709, U.S. Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return;
  • Form 1120-ND, Return for Nuclear Decommissioning Funds and Certain Related Persons;
  • Form 1120-RIC, U.S. Income Tax Return for Regulated Investment Companies;
  • Form 1120-C, U.S. Income Tax Return for Cooperative Associations;
  • Form 1120-REIT, U.S. Income Tax Return for Real Estate Investment Trusts;
  • Form 1120-L, U.S. Life Insurance Company Income Tax Return;
  • Form 1120-PC, U.S. Property and Casualty Insurance Company Income Tax Return;
  • Form 1128, Application to Adopt, Change or Retain a Tax Year;
  • Form 3520, Annual Return to Report Transactions with Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts;
  • Form 3520-A, Annual Information Return of Foreign Trust with a U.S. Owner;
  • Form 8453 series, Form 8878 series, and Form 8879 series regarding IRS e-file Signature Authorization Forms; and
  • Form 8038 series, pertaining to tax-exempt bonds.

For more information, see IRS approves temporary use of e-signatures for certain forms."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 15

If there's a refund, I'll give you a couple weeks to figure it out.  

linduca1216
Level 7

RE: electronic signature on mailed-in 1040... (similar situation as above) tax  year: 2021.  Wondering if RightSignature certificate showing signatures, history of signing, etc. attached....were attached... ?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Always check with IRS for updates and current rules:

"What you should do: You can send us the following forms with digital signatures if they are postmarked from August 28, 2020, through October 31, 2023"

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue#digi...

0 Cheers
linduca1216
Level 7

I had looked there and didn't see anything related to a 1040.   Was hoping, though!

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"didn't see anything related to a 1040"

They tell you "for certain forms" and "temporary" and that's why you look it up, when you need to know what applies. It's all a moving target.

0 Cheers