Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the Federal is not allowing the deduction for child care expenses for dependent who turned 13 years old during year 2023? they were under 13 for a few months

edwin81
Level 2
Children that turn 13 during year 2023 need to have a portion of the credit while they were 12 years old
0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

You are the second person today to bring up that issue

Slava Ukraini!
athaureaux6
Level 8

I see what you mean. I tried it in my case, it calculates it, but it gives an error when enter the amount in the Federal Information Worksheet saying that the child is older than 12. The child turned 13 in May, so it should allowed partial credit as I read in the publication. I also looked the form status and it says is ready, so it looks there will be no more updates. Does somebody know how to contact an employee? Thanks. 

rbynaker
Level 13

@IRonMaN wrote:

You are the second person today to bring up that issue

Looks like enough people complained about the software "allowing" them to use expenses for 14-year-olds in prior years that ProSeries developers finally broke "fixed" this.  AFAIK it's still eligible for disabled dependents regardless of age.  IMO a warning diagnostic message was appropriate but we've gotten to the point where we have to protect the tax returns from the tax preparers.

helperbee
Level 1

turn off the error check (from the ef center) for 13 year olds, it goes right through 🙂