Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is proseries populating Form 8812 in a 1040 that has no dependents or children.

d-walker1
Level 2

Married taxpayers with no dependents and no children, yet proseries populates the Form 8812 for the additional child tax credit and wants questions answered in Part 1A for "advance child care tax payments received from letter 6419."  Sure, I can put 0, but don't know why this form would be asking for information for taxpayers who have never had dependents.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If you enter zeros in the worksheet, the 8812 doesnt get included with the return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

29 Comments 29
IRonMaN
Level 15

It's there just to make sure nobody forgets about the advance payments.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Or you might have some kids you forgot about!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The software doesnt look back to see if you had dependents in 2020 that you may have received the advanced CTC in 2021..   

0 Cheers
Chirp
Level 1

So, I have to have the 8812 in the return??  There is no way to remove it?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If you enter zeros in the worksheet, the 8812 doesnt get included with the return.

Chirp
Level 1

Thanks!

TedW
Level 1

Accepting a form in tax software that does not apply to an 82 year old client by having to put a "zero" in a field is a lame solution.  The software costs plenty and Intuit needs to fix this.  When I delete the form it shows up again and gives an error message.  Sorry but I do not agree with the solutions I am seeing in the blogs.  This is not acceptable.

IRonMaN
Level 15

It's acceptable to me and most other folks.  Entering a zero on a return is a lot easier than missing it on another return where something should have been entered. 

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So it takes too much time/effort to type a zero, that you decided to waste more time here to complain about it.

Brilliant.

PS: were just other users and have NO control over programming...what we have is what weve got to work with.

athaureaux6
Level 8

It may apply to a 82 year old taxpayer who claimed a dependent minor last year for one reason or another and it is not claiming the dependent this year. The IRS used the last year return to send the advanced child tax credit assuming that 82 year old is going to claim the dependent again. If the taxpayer does not claim it, she or he will have to pay back unless it is protected by the repayment qualifications. So in my opinion, it has to be included in all the returns because they are looking for a way to avoid double dipping in some taxpayers. Thank you. 

Al007
Level 3

How about a check box on the top of the form such as "check this box if this form does not apply."  Why harass the tax preparer?  You know when one uses a professional software package, and a form "lights up" meaning we get an error message when we know the form doesn't apply, a diligent tax preparer will try to figure out what is wrong.  That entails first checking the cross reference - there was none.  Then reading the ProSeries help for that form.  Then next going to the IRS instructions for Form 8812.  Any lastly, knowing something is really odd, seeing if others had the same issue.  That is all very time consuming.  So all those out there who that that person who said "that the solutions listed were unacceptable" think twice before you dismiss him.  ProSeries has wasted my time on this and yes now I wasted more because I feel the need to answer the know-it-all "experts."

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, I know how you feel.  I wasted my time reading your post --------- I'll never get that time back.  Bummer.

Slava Ukraini!
Al007
Level 3

How about ProSeries adds on simple question on the information worksheet "Did you claim any dependents in the prior year tax return., with a yes or no answer. 

Also it is amazing that no one seems to value their time and assuming putting "0"  ,on a form is the correct method to deal with something that should have no relevance.

If you feel you wasted your time reading what I wrote that must mean you like to waste your time since apparently this is a non issue for you but you just Cant let it go.

0 Cheers
Al007
Level 3

I think it is not worth discussing with people who reply just to be arbitrary. 

0 Cheers
Al007
Level 3

How about bringing up a point to make an improvement for next year's software. That is why Intuit always asks for feedback, which at times comes in the form of a complaint. 

0 Cheers
Al007
Level 3

Your answer was clearly emotional but did not comment on the actions of a diligent tax preparer. Some preparers who don't like to think, will just put a "0" and be happy they made the form go away.  

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

And there are those other tax preparers that can't think and just whine about everything.

Slava Ukraini!
Camp1040
Level 10

You want to have to pause and read a question that you have to ponder to answer since the question might not be stated clearly. Seems like a Rube Goldberg fix , instead of entering a  simple zero or two.

Al007
Level 3

Yes, you and other whine about someone who had a different opinion. You are like a pack of hungry wolves. Are you all so threatened by someone who thinks differently than you. Or perhaps you need to defend the honor  of Intuit ProSeries because someone criticized them.  Truly sad that so many had to comment on the one individual who said what he believed in. I guess the current spread of social media censorship has crept into the apparently closed minds of certain taxpreparers. Yes, lets all jump on the one who is different for what you all really fear is your own weakness and have all joined the pack because you Cant stand alone. Close minded and backward.

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Well think about this! Why does Missouri print a payment voucher when you have selected electronic payment for tax due. I can't delete the form so I rip it up and throw it away after printing because in two places in the return it states paying electronically, but I wasn't going to mention it because I figured other people figured it out already.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Yes, lets all jump on the one who is different for what you all really fear is your own weakness and have all joined the pack because you Cant stand alone"

Well at least we finally can agree on something - you are different.  You can put on your tin foil hat and get back to work now.

Slava Ukraini!
rcooley25
Level 11

I agree with you on this one. I laugh to myself when I have to answer that question for an 85 year old person. I think it is hillarious.

0 Cheers
Al007
Level 3

Thank you for recognizing I am different than you. I guess anyone who is, has a problem since you are such a standard model of self importance. You are truly a legend in your own mind. Keep your tin foil hat on to protect you from anyone who is different than you.  Have a nice day. 

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I hope that message was not meant for me because no one ,except you maybe, has been jumped on because I dont think like them than I have. There have been some who believe the way  do and I have gotton my shares of kudos but there are some who have been downright nasty.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

The guy that has watched too many Dirty Harry movies was referring to me.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

God. That Makes my day.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

That was suppose to be good that makes my day.

0 Cheers
TaxyLady
Level 1

By selecting No, you are answering a question that you should not be answering.  If you didn't get Letter 6419, how can you answer the question?  They can handle this in other ways, without having us basically lie on the form.

Not impressed...

0 Cheers
Ruth2
Level 2

I probably don't do enough returns as a sole proprietor to get upset about it.  I just use it as a conversation point to laugh about - especially when I'm talking to a 90-year-old client.

Ruth