Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Proseries considering a $7500 traditional IRA contribution for a 60 year old as excessive and taxable at 6%

jjm-cffsllc-com
Level 1

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
IRonMaN
Level 15

Because based on the information loaded into the return, the client didn't qualify for the contribution?

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

look at the IRA contribution worksheet and follow the money through the computation.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jjmcgiii50
Level 2

On the IRA Contribution Worksheet the maximum is $7,500 per taxpayer.  Line 1 is $7,500, Line 5 is $7,500, Line 9 is $7,500, Line 12 is $0.  On the IRA Deduction Worksheet, Lines 3 and 4 are $7,500 for each taxpayer; Lines 10 and 16 are $0.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I cant follow that.   Look at the worksheet between Lines 13 and 14, those quickzoom buttons should show you the calculation that makes the amount in excess.

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

does the taxpayer have earned income

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Until some facts are presented, I think were all just stuck guessing.

jjmcgiii50
Level 2

Interest, dividend and rental income through K-1's, and I appreciate everyone's assistance.

sjrcpa
Level 15

None of that is earned income.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Interest, dividend and rental income"

"To contribute to a traditional IRA, you, and/or your spouse if you file a joint return, must have taxable compensation, such as wages, salaries, commissions, tips, bonuses, or net income from self-employment."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.