Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Pro Series giving EITC to those over 65Years of age on the 2021 program?

aem68
Level 2

We have to answer the EIC questions on the information page.  And the program is calculating EIC for those are over 65 years of age when they have earned income.  I have seen no legislation that has changed that from previous years.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

found this with the help of Google....  

The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 made several changes to the Earned Income Tax Credit. Some of these changes are temporary for the 2021 tax year only others are permanent.

For 2021 only, more childless workers and couples can qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The maximum credit is nearly tripled for these taxpayers and is made available to both younger workers and senior citizens. The age limit for “childless EITC,” which had been 25 to 64, is now lowered to 19 (age 24 for specified students) with no upper limit. Qualified former foster youth or a qualified homeless youth may now qualify at age 18.

So no upper age limit - over 65 CAN claim EITC for 2021

Edit to add this:   https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/get-help/credits/claiming-the-eitc/

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
dkh
Level 15

Too early to complete 2021 returns. Program is not ready.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I thought I saw a blurb somewhere about them expanding the age.....Im waiting until I take an update class in the first week of January to see whats really changed, I cant keep up on whats proposed and whats passed.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

found this with the help of Google....  

The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 made several changes to the Earned Income Tax Credit. Some of these changes are temporary for the 2021 tax year only others are permanent.

For 2021 only, more childless workers and couples can qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The maximum credit is nearly tripled for these taxpayers and is made available to both younger workers and senior citizens. The age limit for “childless EITC,” which had been 25 to 64, is now lowered to 19 (age 24 for specified students) with no upper limit. Qualified former foster youth or a qualified homeless youth may now qualify at age 18.

So no upper age limit - over 65 CAN claim EITC for 2021

Edit to add this:   https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/get-help/credits/claiming-the-eitc/

aem68
Level 2

Thanks Lisa for your answer.  I guess we will have to keep our eyes open.  I just finished the AFTR course and there was no mention of expansion of age on the course.  We will just to wait and see.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
AFTR course was probably written prior to lots of these new 2021 changes...I always wait until late Dec or early Jan to take an update class to get my head straight on all the new stuff.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
aem68
Level 2

That will be good news for a lot of clients that work part time and are over 65.  I will be watching for Pub 17 to verify.  Thanks for your input.

dkh
Level 15
Hillenburg
Level 4

Not sure we will know what the final changes are by the first week of April.

0 Cheers