Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is line 16 incorrect on my client's return. He called me on it and I checked 2022 tax tables-looks like he's right. What's going on with Proseries?

joggergirl123
Level 3

0 Cheers
15 Comments 15
IRonMaN
Level 15

Capital gains are involved?

Slava Ukraini!
joggergirl123
Level 3

Just a small capital loss.  

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Qualified dividends?  Captial gain distributions?

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

Finally, we have a first this year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

I have never had an error with this with Pro Series. Never. Pro Series does an excellent job with this. Iron Man is correct.

dkh
Level 15

Go to line 16 click on the magnifying glass  - it will take you to the 1040 worksheet line 16 - right above line 16 is a Tax Smart Worksheet which indicates how the tax was calculated.    Is  Line1 Tax Table box checked or Line 4 Qualified Div / Capital Gains box checked  or something else ??

dkh
Level 15

Also.... do you print all the worksheets with your client's tax return copy?  The Qualified Dividends / Capital Gain Tax Worksheet is probably in your client's paperwork.   It shows the detail of how tax was calculated.

joggergirl123
Level 3

Thank you and apologies to all responders.  I didn't take the time to check out the worksheet before posting.  Crunch time and this guy was really ticking me off. 

PATAX
Level 15

@joggergirl123 that's okay. The PITA clients know how to get to us. Go take a jog and let some steam off. Take your dog with you if you have one.🐕

abctax55
Level 15

@joggergirl123    Is he an engineer?   

I'd fire his a.s.s   - life is too short.

One of mine just challenged why the 'math' on the F 8879 was 'wrong', not deducting the FIT withheld correctly.  Well, that's cuz you refuse to pay your estimates so there's a penalty that isn't reflected on the F 8879 as it is just a summary page.  How about looking at page 2 of the F 1040.  Or, better yet - pay the estimates?  Or even better yet... go away 🙂   

T G I F !!

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

@abctax55 you hit the nail on the head. Like a PITA client was asked: "If you know so much, then why don't you do your tax return yourself?"

abctax55
Level 15

@PATAX 

I just used a version of that.

Client - why is refund less?

Me - no EIC this year, tax law changed, your income is higher, withholding increase didn't track the increase in wages, yada, yada.

Client -  the ?? here in the office says I should get it (EIC)

Me - perhaps she should do your return?

Seconds of dead silence, that I did NOT try to make less awkward.

I can't charge enough to put up with this crap, on a simple return, at the end of March.  You either trust me, or you don't. 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
joggergirl123
Level 3

Yes, exactly.  Don't second guess something you know nothing about!  I put myself on call 24/7 but not anymore. Learning to set boundaries.

PATAX
Level 15

@joggergirl123 the more that you do for them the more they will take advantage of you.

taxes96786
Level 9

abctax...my response to PITA clients is "you are perfectly welcome to take your return elsewhere if you are not happy with my services. I will put a note on your file not to contact you next year."

0 Cheers