Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is a Zero being carried from education costs to Schedule 1 when Tuition is greater than Scholarships?

dlcoatscpa
Level 3

I have a client who has Tuition in excess of Scholarships so there are NO taxable wages.  ProSeries is carrying a Zero to Schedule 1 and generating that form.  That is the ONLY entry on Schedule 1, so it is generating the form unnecessarily.  It appears to be something new happening this year as I have not seen it before.

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Intuit likes to screw up the software each year.  Usually most of the common bugs aren't worked out until sometime in March.

dlcoatscpa
Level 3

Thanks for the comment TaxGuy, but since you commented, ProSeries is now asking if I received my answer.  I am hoping this response does not prevent them from looking at the problem further.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Unfortunately, Intuit won't even look at this post.

And even if they did, I suspect transferring an unnecessary zero would be on the very bottom of their 'to do' list.

black51
Level 2

It's mind blowing. The software is practically the same every year with usually minor changes and they still find ways to screw it up while charging us a premium. Every year I say I'm going to try _____ (insert the name of 30 competitors). Maybe next year will be the year!