Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is 8812 asking for Child tax credit advance payments when taxpayer has no children

C4U
Level 3

Schedule 8812 is asking for the amount of advance payments for Child Tax credit but it's asking for clients who have no dependents.  Never even birthed a child.

I've been entering - but this seems like an error. 

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
GodFather
Level 8

That happened to me on a client as well.  I deleted the 8812 from the return and had no issues after that.  

ljr
Level 8

Every return so far I've had that - i enter zero and move on

ljr
Level 8

Although as a joke I did ask a client (who is retired with no dependents) if the gov't might have messed up and sent them the child credit advance payment in error. I guess anything is possible.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They may not have kids on the return this year, but they still could have received ACTC based on the prior year (the form isnt sophisticated enough to look back at the 2020 dependent situation), so all returns will have the 8812 popup, just plunk a couple of zeros in it and move on. 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
C4U
Level 3

this is what I've done. thank you

C4U
Level 3

I understand - and can see entering zero on clients in those situations.  My questions pertained to the client definitely never ever having a dependent in the IRS system ever.  But seems to be a glitch and just need to enter zero for all.  And I'm on with that if the software and IRS are.

0 Cheers