Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't the out-of-state tax credit calculate on my Kansas return?

Carroll
Level 2

My client resides in Kansas but had income and paid taxes in Iowa. The out-of-state tax credit does not appear on the 2023 Kansas state return. It appeared on his 2022 return and I compared everything to see what I'm missing but can't seem to figure it out.

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
dkh
Level 15

I've never been able to get it to work on the Michigan state return.   I enter the information.

Can you enter without doing an override ?   

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I know years ago, you had to prepare the non-resident state return first, then the resident return for that credit to flow over properly, Im not sure if thats still the case, Ive just always done it this way by habit.  

Did you go back and forth between the states to see if it would pick it up?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Carroll
Level 2

I manually entered the income into the non-resident form but the percentage calculation remained at 0%.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You didnt use the Non-resident state worksheet at the bottom of the Federal information worksheet to allocate the non-resident income, you entered it manually?   

I wonder if that has something to do with the flow.....

Carroll
Level 2

I just assumed everything would carry over from the previous year. All the same boxes are checked from the previous year. I'm guessing there was a programming change in 2023.

Carroll
Level 2

Actually, I did use the worksheet and it showed the income but did not calculate the credit.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Carroll wrote:

I just assumed everything would carry over from the previous year. All the same boxes are checked from the previous year. I'm guessing there was a programming change in 2023.

Thats possible, I havent had any non-resident returns yet.