Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I print for file NJ returns?

altocpa
Level 2

The NJ-8879 says not available until 2/10/2022, but the NJ1040 is final and ready for efile.  NJ discontinued the requirement for a separate 8879 in 2021.  When i go to print or file the return, it tells me that the 1040 is not final, but the last release and the software say it is.  I've tried removing the 8879, but still no luck.

Any suggestions?

10 Comments 10
jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

I am encountering the exact same problem with a DC state return.  The specific forms I wish to print all appear to be finalized and ready for e-filing, but it will not allow me to print because certain unspecified forms are not ready.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Any suggestions?"

Move to a state that doesn't have individual income taxes.  Although the federal was kinda ready on 1/24, there are a number of states that are going to be awhile before they are up and running.  Folks living in N states seem to need a lot more patience than other letters in the alphabet.

Slava Ukraini!
jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

Fair enough as far as e-filing the returns go, but why is Intuit preventing us from just printing the forms out in PDF copy?  It would be nice to send the draft return to the client for review purposes, even if we are not ready to e-file at this time.

IRonMaN
Level 15

We have had this discussion with Intuit many times over the years.  Sometimes the story goes that a particular state says that it is strictly prohibited from allowing that.  Other times the story goes that states have complained because they have received forms that were not finalized (how many professional tax preparers paper file?).  I think Intuit has an official excuse generator and they press a button and out pops a new excuse.  It's frustrating for a lot of folks but if you are going to own an Intuit product, you need to learn how to deal with frustration.

Slava Ukraini!
KG1
Level 2

Running into same issue. All I can do right now is file Federal return and go back and file NJ. Not exactly what clients want to hear but I can't find a way around it. The error states that NJ 1040 is not final. Good luck and hope its all up hill from here!

Tom Schad
Level 3

Still no update but lacerte can print and efile

I have been efiling the fed for people 

jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

There has been a huge uproar over the past two days on this board regarding the inability to print MD returns, but the same issue is occurring with NJ returns.  Surprised we are not seeing more grief/anger for this state.  Just tried to print a NJ return, and despite several attempts deleting various forms, nothing works.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe once folks in NJ ran into the problem, they all jumped ship and you are the only one left 😉

Slava Ukraini!
jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

OK, just ran a software update, and I can now print the NJ return if I omit the Form 8779.

Progress.

Tom Schad
Level 3

Just finished up the ones I could

Still Open

NJ 2210   2/17

NJ DOP  2/17

NJ Gains Losses  2/17