Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I receiveing an error on the Interest Info Worksheet for Tax Exempt interest state allocation total %? I have entered actual amounts which do total line 8.

fetaxbiz
Level 1

Interest info worksheet says to either enter a % or the actual amount of tax exempt interest per state.  But when I enter actuals, I get an error in the total % field even though the total I entered in the expanding table for all states does match the total exempt interest on line 8.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

This was a bug reported a while back, sounds like they haven't fixed it yet.

The easy work around, split the entry into two lines on the Sch B.  Put the home state amount on one line, and the out-of-state amount on another line.  The "out-of-state" interest gets entered as 100% "XX" state.  That should get you where you need to be on the state return without having to override anything.

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
rbynaker
Level 13

This was a bug reported a while back, sounds like they haven't fixed it yet.

The easy work around, split the entry into two lines on the Sch B.  Put the home state amount on one line, and the out-of-state amount on another line.  The "out-of-state" interest gets entered as 100% "XX" state.  That should get you where you need to be on the state return without having to override anything.

Rick

0 Cheers
fetaxbiz
Level 1
Thanks, that does make it a little cleaner and eliminates the bogus error on the federal (until they fix it)!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Yeah, I've actually been doing the 2-line thing for years.  I guess it's good I never got into the habit of using the ProSeries allocate feature!
0 Cheers