Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I getting e-file rejections due to someone else filing 2018 return every time I file a return?

sjones95
Level 1

Why am I getting e-file rejections on every individual tax return I file for 2018 because IRS says someone has already filed a return....too many to be identity theft.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Did someone hack your client computer?

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

Did someone hack your client computer?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
That'd be my guess.  I'd maybe start with a call to your stakeholder liaison at IRS.  They should be able to connect you directly with someone at IRS who can go over your client list and see if this is widespread.  If you have been hacked, they can also walk you through the notification process.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Or check the PTIN system to see how many have been filed using your number?  I don't know how often that system is updated.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Rejects for taxpayer or spouse or a combination of both?

Ive seen multiple people over in TurboTax with a similar issue, one even called IRS and IRS said they had no other return filed for that SSN and didn't know why it would reject for that, but filing by paper was their only option.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Happy-Tax
Level 5

I would call the IRS Efile Help Desk. I've had them work miracles before with efiling problems. Even if they can't fix it, they would probably be grateful to be made aware of what's happening.

Also, consider checking Where's My Refund at irs.gov. See whether that system acknowledges having received the returns.

Itsataxthing
Level 1

What was your solution to this?  I am having the same problem and with multiple accounts but am not getting anywhere with the help line or IRS!

0 Cheers