Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to enter 529 Plan distributions in 2019 used to pay student loans

MikeB_CPA
Level 5

Does anyone know where to enter student loan amounts paid using distributions from 529 plans?  Starting in 2019 this is now allowed up to certain limitations.  There is a checkbox on the Student Information Worksheet asking if any distributions were used for loan payments, but I have been unable to determine where to enter the amount of the distribution used to pay loans so the distribution is excluded from taxable income. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I think its Line 2 not 20

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
RollTide68
Level 8

I have not had someone do it yet but look at the Student Information Worksheet Part I Line 4a

Let us know if that is the correct box to check 

MikeB_CPA
Level 5

Thanks, but that checkbox does not seem to do anything to trigger an entry point for an amount.  After Box 4a on the Student Information Worksheet is checked, there does not appear to be a line in Section VI of that worksheet (or anywhere else that I can find) to enter student loan payments to offset the 529 plan distribution.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Wouldn't you just enter it in Part VIII of the student info worksheet to make it non taxable?

0 Cheers
MikeB_CPA
Level 5

I suppose you could do that, but since the totals from Part VI and other areas of the worksheet flow to Part VIII, I was looking for a specific entry point.  I thought that would be important especially since there is the $10K limit for 529 distributions used to pay loans.  Appreciate the thoughts.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

On the student info worksheet, part l, line 4a check yes, then go to part Vlll, line 20 put in the amount of the distribution from 1099Q that was used for student loans

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I think its Line 2 not 20

MikeB_CPA
Level 5

Thanks for the assistance.  I appreciate the help.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Thanks Lisa, it is line 2d in part Vlll