Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where is Indiana Amended Tax Return (Form IT-40) ?

jm8
Level 1

I cannot find the Indiana amended return (Form IT-40X) in the list of forms.  This is a commonly used form that is needed and has always been on this list in previous years. Does anyone know why this Form is not there? 

9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
for which tax year?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
jm8
Level 1

For the current tax year I am working with which is 2021.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Id venture to guess its just not available yet....I know the federal 1040X wont be ready and working for another month.
When I enter AMENDED in the "Where Do I Enter" box, the form appears, but wont take me to it. So I'm guessing its just not included yet.

You dont want to send in an amended return until the original has completed processing.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
JBTAX
Level 2

Did you ever find how to amend a 2021 Indiana return in ProConnect?  ProConnect is providing a IT-40 with a check box marked for "amended", but when I look at the Indiana DOR instructions, it says that for 2021 we still need to use a IT-40X, and that starting in Tax Year 2022 we will use an IT-40 with the "amended" checkbox.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Per my source material from the Indiana Dept of Revenue tax seminar - the IT40X is no longer available beginning with tax year 2021.

dkh
Level 15

Are you looking at instructions from IDOR website or what ProConnect provides.  Because IDOR website instructions also say beginning with 2021 use the check box on the IT40.  

JBTAX
Level 2

Thank you!  When I looked on the IN DOR website I was seeing that the IT-40 with checkbox was starting in 2022, while 2021 still used the IT-40X.  However, I called the IN DOR this morning and they confirmed that for TY 2021 amendments use the IT-40 with the checkbox for "amendment".  Thanks for your time.

wkulsrud
Level 1

I understand that for Indiana amended returns you are to check the box at the top of Form IT-40 as follows:

__ Check here if filing an amended return. 

But I'm confused as to the next step.  Do I simply enter the revised numbers on this return and file it and let the IDOR figure out what needs to be done?  On the old IT-40X, you recorded amounts in the following columns:

Col A Original Return; Col B Amount of Change; Col C Correct  

and then compute the refund or additional amount due.

Help!

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I would do what they tell me to do.

"If you have already filed an original return, file an amended return by clicking 'Amended" on the IT-40."

https://www.in.gov/dor/individual-income-taxes/file-an-amended-return/

They probably have one of those new-fangled "artificial intelligence" systems that point out to them what changed without you having to help. 

0 Cheers