Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where do i enter prior year's sch E loss carryforward (with active participation)

JSK
Level 3

I have a new client with loss carry forwards from rental property with active participation.  I am trying to find out where I enter these losses.  I know where I want it to appear on the 8582, but the cross reference is not an option, and the "about" line doesn't really help me much.  I'm bouncing all over.  It won't allow me to override either (or I def would have done that by now).  Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

On the Schedule E worksheet with the rental, scroll down.  There are a million sub-worksheets on the bottom 3/4 of that worksheet, including a section for carryforwards to the current year.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

On the Schedule E worksheet with the rental, scroll down.  There are a million sub-worksheets on the bottom 3/4 of that worksheet, including a section for carryforwards to the current year.

JSK
Level 3

You can tell it's been a rough tax season...I did scroll down, and when I entered the info I was getting error messages.  That's when I tried here.  I just looked again, and I have to enter the loss as a negative.  Some forms you enter it as a positive, so I was incorrectly entering a positive number.

Thank you for your help!

0 Cheers