Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where do I enter info for exemption of 10% penalty on early 401K withdrawal?

Jane-o
Level 2

Client did early wihdrawal for purchase of personal residence. Gave all necessary info to payer and declared a hardship.  The payers' code is 1 so how do I avoid him paying he 10% penalty due to hardship?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Check out form 5329

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

Check out form 5329

Slava Ukraini!
Jane-o
Level 2

Thank you!!

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

A "hardship" only allows the money to be withdrawn.  That does NOT waive the penalty.

But as was mentioned, you can see if the taxpayer has any qualifying reasons to waive the penalty on Form 5329.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Withdrawal was to buy a house -------- I am assuming Jane knows that they have to qualify as first time buyers to qualify.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Hardship and Home Purchase are two different provisions, if you are referring to First Time Homebuyer; or Disaster Home?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Did something change?  The first-time homebuyer penalty exception used to only apply to IRA withdrawals, not 401k withdrawals.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
NO penalty exception for the situation you described, sorry. Had to be an IRA to waive penalty on the first 10,000 for a first time home purchase.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

For my second oops of today - I missed the 401k part of the question.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

You and I had the sames question about the same time.

0 Cheers