Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I enter an indirect rollover of a non qualifies annuity?

Lori11
Level 1

I'm using proseries and have a client who received a 1099r with a code 7D. 

Gross amount 133615. and taxable amount 33984. (total distribution).

The total distribution was rolled over to another annuity, but I can't find any where to enter that amount as a rollover, causing the taxable amount to still be taxable

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you scroll down down down the 1099R worksheet, I think its Page 2 that has rollover options

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Lori11
Level 1

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but there is no place on page 2 of the 1099R worksheet  to roll over the annuity.

I tried to use line B1 but that does not roll the taxable amount over (it seems to cover only IRAs), so where else could I enter to create the annuity rollover

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

It sounds like your client sold one annuity and bought another, and has a taxable amount of $33984 from interest earned on the first annuity that he traded in on the new annuity 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You stated "indirect" and "rollover" and perhaps you meant "exchange?"

Google this:

section 1035 exchange annuity

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

If the company followed the IRS instructions and this was a Section 1035 exchange, then you would be looking for a "6" in Box 7:

"For section 1035 exchanges that are reportable on Form 1099-R, enter the total value of the contract in box 1, 0 (zero) in box 2a, the total premiums paid in box 5, and Code 6 in box 7."

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

A 1099-R isn't always coded correctly for what the taxpayer did with the money. The "sending" agency might not know this qualified as an exchange to the "receiving" entity. We see this all the time with conversions and rollovers.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers