Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When my most annoying client tries to recommend a new client

dkh
Level 15

nope.jpg my outward expression..... oh sorry not taking any new clients

no emoji.jpg my inward feelings.....!!!!!

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Birds of a feather flock together.  PITA clients have PITA friends.  It's kinda like fleas ----------- once you are infected by them it's hard to get rid of all of them.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
PATAX
Level 15

@dkh you are exactly right and that is the same reaction I have. But every once in a while we take a prospective pita client, and it actually turns out quite well, but that serms to be the exception to the rule.

dascpa
Level 11

It pains me that I turn away so many potential individual clients but the 1040 season is so short (other than the thank-goodness extension ones).  Also, knowing that when someone calls during the summer or fall and needs help they'll just turn into another 1040 during the height of the season.  I believe the local practitioner who handles small business and individuals is a dying breed.  I'd love to find someone competent that I could hand all my potentials to, collect a small referral fee and then spend my days sipping daiquiri's at the beach while the bank account just grows and grows.  Ok, back to payroll tax returns

IRonMaN
Level 15

Birds of a feather flock together.  PITA clients have PITA friends.  It's kinda like fleas ----------- once you are infected by them it's hard to get rid of all of them.

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

I'm a sucker for optimism.  I'm also full of myself when it comes to making judgment in taking on clients. 

I've had referrals of very good clients from high-maintenance ones and vice versa.  My policy is to interview all client referrals.  The initial phone call will determine whether there is a mutual match, which - as I would disclose to the referee - would be the sole criterion whether to extend my conversation beyond the courtesy initial interview.  There were interviews from which I ran to the hills within a few minutes.

It's also a matter of preparation (check list) for the interview.

Just my 1.6 cents.  (Was 2 cents before the recent NASDAQ fiasco.)  

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.