Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When does the superseded return fully update?

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

so a newbie in the office prepared a college kid's 1040 and didn't check the 'can be claimed by parent ' box......and then this oldbie didn't catch that until AFTER I filed the return.  Actually, not until the parents return got rejected for claiming the college student dependent.

So, using the knowledge that I gained during that brief 7-minute period of reviewing how to file a superseded return, I filed a superseded return for the college student dependent.  I changed her return to indicate that she could, and she was, claimed as a dependent. That superseded return was accepted by the IRS.   It's been like 4 days now, that I have been trying to file the parents return, assuming the accepted superseded return would eliminate the rejection for claiming someone already claimed.  So my question to the community  is, will this correction eventually allow me to efile the parents return, or am I going to be relegated to the United States Postal Service for the parents' initial return.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I think they're still processed like a 1040X, Im not sure its going to save much time in processing.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
MikeA1
Level 2

Well dd4vols, I did the same thing.  Have you made further attempts at filing the parents return and was it successful?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

10-12 weeks for processing.

Ex-AllStar
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

@MikeA1 .  I try to refile the parents return on a daily basis, and each day i get the dreaded red thumb of death.  But I'm holding out, and refiling every day.  Some day maybe I'll see some green when i file it.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

and now, @sjrcpa  has totally saddened me with her take on the process.  I once had hope.........😀

MikeA1
Level 2

Thanks for the reply!  Certainly a frustrating situation when it happens.  The lesson learned will surely stick with me.

For me this begs the question, why even give the option for a superseded return vs an amended return if the processing and lead time is the same?  Just seam like false hope for quick resolution to minor error corrections.

I don’t expect you to have the answer, just discussing.

thanks again!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont understand it either ♀️

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

This begs the question, why do you think the system is set up for your convenience and not for IRS convenience?

0 Cheers
MikeA1
Level 2

Well I am certainly not arrogant enough to think it is set up for my convenience.  Just wondering why they would go through the trouble of adding another option without having it be any different from the existing method.  I guess logic has never been a real driving factor down at the good old IRS so why this would be any different is beyond me.