Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What software is everyone using for Form 5227 Split Interest Trust since ProSeries refuses to add?

PA CPA 900
Level 2

I've been told for years that ProSeries is going to add Form 5227 and it's still not there. They charge me for using LaCerte for this one return each year and I absolutely hate it. It takes me twice as long to prepare the return as it should by the time I download and figure out where to enter everything. Even the much cheaper Drake offers this form so I'm thinking about trying them out instead of using LaCerte. Plus I don't like paying additional for something which should be included in my ProSeries Professi

8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

Who in the world has been telling you that ProSeries is going to provide the form?  After centuries of begging I gave up years ago.  I used to prepare 4 of those buggers when I first started begging but now I’m down to one due to clients dying off that needed the form.  For years I used other software that provided fillable forms.  Lately I have just being doing them by hand.  They aren’t pretty, but it gets the job done.

Slava Ukraini!
Taxtime3
Level 3

I use Thomas Reuters Onesource Trust tax.  However, fiduciary returns are the bulk of what I do.

0 Cheers
Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

Technically, the IRS is "mandating" efiling of Form 5227 next year....but I'll believe it when I see it.  See instructions to form....where it looks like wishful thinking there as well.

IRonMaN
Level 15

The instructions say e-filing expected to be available in 2023, I didn’t see where it was mandated.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

It's late, I'm tired.  I read it the way I wanted to.  That's how I always read instructions to tax forms. 🤣🤣

If enough of us use the word 'mandate' as a narrative maybe the IRS and software companies will actually believe it!!

Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

Oh yeah, I think they expected it to be available back in 2021 as well.

Taxtime3
Level 3

This was the first year I could e-file a 5227.

0 Cheers
Karen
Level 2

Do I understand correctly that if I file more than 10 returns I will now need to e-file Form 5227?

But as we are all complaining about, Proseries does not offer form 5227.  In prior years I just filled out a pdf form and mailed it as I found trying to learn Lacerte more time consuming and frustrating than preparing by hand.  So what is anyone else in my situation planning to do this year?

0 Cheers