Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the 80% deduction for meals and entertainment?

rust
Level 2

What qualifies a business for an 80% (as opposed to 50% or 100%) deduction for meals and entertainment.

0 Cheers
18 Comments 18
PATAX
Level 15

Maybe the answer is in the US Master tax guide, quickfinder, or other reference material....

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Google 'irs meals entertainment 80%' and you should find what youre looking for

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Publication 463 covers meals and entertainment.

Open that open and use your search-function to find "80%".

🙂

IRonMaN
Level 15

"If you are subject to the Department of Transportation (DOT) hours of service limits, the allowable deductible percentage is increased to 80% for business meals consumed, or related to, any period of duty for which those are in effect."

Sorry, I have to post the actual answer before the line of hints gets so long that it starts to impede traffic flow.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

🐟 vs 🎣

qbteachmt
Level 15

Deductible entertainment? Make sure to look at Dates, if you rely on articles that have tables that will assist you in applying what the IRS dictates:

https://blog.redpathcpas.com/meals-and-entertainment-in-2021

https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2021/mar/irs-entertainment-tax-deductions.html

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

@IRonMaN  Could you kindly post also the details for 50% and 100%, with the timing (applicable years), as well as the rules for entertainment, before this gets really, really long to create a traffic jam?

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sorry, I am heading out to teach a couple of 6 year old kids how to fish.  I guess you have to start them young.

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Teaching fishing....  Inspired by @Just-Lisa-Now- 's   joshuabarksatlcs_0-1638647418501.png  vs joshuabarksatlcs_1-1638647418507.png  ? 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Learning how to fish.

Step 1 - learn how to read

fishing.jpg

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Maybe there should have been other signs on that bridge printed in all of the various languages used in that area.... You know how they do with the election ballots...Hmmmmmm😉

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I tried to make them large, but it didnt seem to work, so either I suffered from some kind of operator error or Win 11 screwed me out of large emojis! They look much better like that!

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Deciphering from the arm-sizes and beer guts, I'd say the other sign ought to be bubba-bonics. Something like this:

"Yo (explicit) oughtta fergit about fishin' here.  That's z'actly right.  No fishin' here, Man."

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

It's Windows 11...  

I know because I'm still using Pentium III -- just upgraded from my 386.

(My grandson is still playing on Nintendo 32.) 

I tried to enlarge the vs but it didn't work.... 

PATAX
Level 15

Looks like they're fishing for Whoppers and Big Macs....

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

joshuabarksatlcs_0-1638734427705.png  vs joshuabarksatlcs_1-1638734427720.png 

Here it is....

George4Tacks
Level 15

I have to admit, this has been very instructive!!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
PATAX
Level 15

Cut the cable cord and just come here for entertainment....

0 Cheers