Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to RCooley's "communion post".

PATAX
Level 15

What happened to Brother Cooley's recent "communion post"? When I tried to go on to it, it says access denied and it looks like it disappeared. Why? Maybe this post will disappear too for me asking.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

My guess is that there is a lurker who has assumed the duties of hall monitor.  Intuit doesn't really care unless someone reports it.  We could all go on strike for a few days, but that would just leave the scabs to post wrong answers.  

View solution in original post

26 Comments 26
IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe Intuit developed a communion page and moved it there.  There have been a lot of things that have disappeared this year that really didn't need to disappear.  Intuit's censorship has gotten a little carried away at times.  

As a side note, if I see men in black heading your way in a van, I'll try and give you a warning so you don't disappear.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Are they actually paying someone to monitor this forum this closely? You have got to be kidding me. Maybe they should concentrate more on improving customer service and the product. But what do I know just the dog walking nerd I am.🤓💪🐕

IRonMaN
Level 15

Someone at Intuit has been listening to Home on the Range too much:

Oh, give me a home, where the buffalo roamWhere the deer and the antelope playWhere seldom is heard, a discouragin' wordAnd the skies are not cloudy all dayHome, home on the range

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Are they in a wide open space or are they in space?😉🤔

BobKamman
Level 15

My guess is that there is a lurker who has assumed the duties of hall monitor.  Intuit doesn't really care unless someone reports it.  We could all go on strike for a few days, but that would just leave the scabs to post wrong answers.  

PATAX
Level 15

👍

PATAX
Level 15

👍That's all we need a little pencil neck tax preparing stoolie....😉😀

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If it was political or religious, it probably got pulled....just for the record, I didnt see it, so it wasnt me!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

It was just some good-hearted joking that's all it was.

sjrcpa
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-  Lisa, Do you Champs have the magic power of being able to lock or pull a thread?

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

So what if it was political or religious?  It wasn't, but even if it was who cares.  Does that mean we can no longer wish each other Merry Christmas, which we do every year.  Since it is a religious holiday, does that mean it is no longer acceptable.  Dascpa made a comment about Obama referring to the wrong number of states the other day.  Should the whole string of posts be removed in those instances because by mentioning the former president, the post is now political?  Everybody here is an adult ------------- well at least the people that are tax preparers that visit this place are.  Unless you have lived under a rock all of your life we have all heard off color, rude, or derogatory comments and we all survived to live another day.  So unless someone is threatening to kill someone or use a voodoo doll to inflict pain upon someone for the rest of tax season, leave things alone.  In the old days if a rumble in the jungle broke out here, individual posts would get censored or deleted rather than deleting the whole string of posts.  Some days I wonder if I am suffering from dementia because posts I could have sworn I read can no longer be found.  So for the sake of those of us with feeble minds just leave the posts alone.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

We can move posts to other places, like the Lounge, to get them out of public view, but we cant delete them. (I didnt see any communion posts in there)

We might be able to turn off commenting and close a thread, but I dont think Ive ever tried.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had a post pulled years ago, for racism that was totally NOT racist, it was the phrase chop-chop like  hurry up, go faster.....apparently that's a racist phrase, so I dunno what were supposed to be offended by anymore.

PATAX
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- yeah it's getting ridiculous everywhere now. Hypersensitive people and others with too much time on their hands.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I get offended by Intuit killing off a whole string of posts because of one post in the string.  Being part Norwegian, I also get offended by Ole and Lena jokes.  So whoever is posting those really needs to stop. 😜

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

If you all go on strike please let me know ahead of time.  Some of you are like a security blanket to more of us than will admit.  Hope everyone has a good last few days before the deadline and Thanks for all you do for me.

PS Happy Easter!

IRonMaN
Level 15

Happy Easter to you too --------- now this post is going to disappear.  

May the Easter Bunny leave you a basket full of goodies -------------- and I don't mean bunny turds.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN  I'm part Norwegian too but I can't complain about your jokes because my great-grandfather Tom Olsen was born in Christiania before the country's capital changed its name.  .  But I'm warning you, go slow or you're going to offend someone from Oslo.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Ok.  I'll   s p a c e   o u t   t h e   l e t t e r s more to slow the jokes down so that those Oslo peoples have a better chance of understanding.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN I'm not any Scandinavian or Norwegian as far as I know. My ancestors were South European, East European, German, Hungarian Nobility, and Ashkenazi. When I was growing up ethnic jokes, religious jokes, political jokes, etc were told and it was no problem. Now people have a heart attack if you use the wrong word. What a joke.

abctax55
Level 15

I posted on a different forum two-three years ago "too many chiefs, not enough Indians".  Shortly after I got an email (in THAT forum, you have to register & prove you're legit, give a working email.... you know what I mean "the barn door itsn't  W I D E open) telling me I was 'out-of-line' and was offending Native Americans. 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

I had a post pulled years ago, for racism that was totally NOT racist, it was the phrase chop-chop like  hurry up, go faster.....apparently that's a racist phrase, so I dunno what were supposed to be offended by anymore.

hahaha....that was my post. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

As everyone here knows, I use humor pretty much whenever I can.  But I’ve never intentionally used humor that I thought would be offensive to any group ———— other than accountants and tax preparers.  But even so everyone needs to lighten up these days and not try to construe everything being said as racist or insensitive to a group of people.  Years ago George Carlin had a bit saying words don’t hurt people but it’s how you use those words. So everyone just needs to relax and smile once in awhile.  And if you can’t laugh at yourself once in awhile you are living a life I would hate to live.  And this comes from someone who probably has a couple of Svens and Oles dangling from that family tree.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

That's interesting.  I just Googled it and I didn't see any type of illicit background on that phrase.

Now I wish had seen the Communion post, so I could see what all of the fuss was about. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

CHOP CHOP

According to the Anglo-India dictionary Hobson-Jobson published in 1886, the phrase originates from the Cantonese word kap, which means “make haste” and converted to pidgin English that was often used on sailing ships. However, as NPR reports, “The utterance ‘chop-chop’ would also become closely associated with class over time, and was almost always said by someone powerful to someone below.”

This was the only thing I could find about it, weird flex to pull it down, apparently someone complained about it.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-   

Wikipedia says that “chop chop" is a phrase first noted in the interaction between Cantonese and English people in British-occupied south China. It spread through Chinese workers at sea and was adopted by British seamen. "Chop chop" means "hurry" and suggests that something should be done now and without delay. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word "chopsticks" originates from this same root.

So in the future, refer only to “long narrow paired eating utensils.” And avoid watching Charlie Chan movies on YouTube, especially those starring the Swede in make-up, Warner Oland. Although these were popular among black audiences in the segregated balconies of the time, because the minority character always made the white ones look foolish.

0 Cheers