Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What account can I use as credit to increase the value of the asset? Thank you!

My company bought a house in 2014. This property' value has increased and I would like to show the increase in my books and also take advantage of a higher depreciation expense. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can record the increase in value as unrealized appreciation. You cannot depreciate the increase in value.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can record the increase in value as unrealized appreciation. You cannot depreciate the increase in value.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8

What does your paid preparer think?

I think this is beyond your capabilities.

0 Cheers
I'm trying to find out if there is possibility to increase the asset in books and also increase it in the tax return to take advantage of a higher depreciation. Not sure if that is allowed by IRS. I have not asked an accountant.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
You cannot depreciate the increase in value

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
You have asked (here) 1,000s of accountants.  You should find a local professional to work with who will learn the intricacies of your biz, and do returns right.
My new client used TurdoTax (tm) to prepare 2017, and misunderstood what she was doing.  Under-reported $36,000.  She does 1 return a year so she cannot be expert in the software.
I do hundreds a year (for 30+ years, after an Accounting degree - then all those years of continuing education).  
0 Cheers
Therefore, the historical value or beginning value is the only value that can be depreciated?
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
Point proven!
0 Cheers
Thank you so much!
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15
@esther.realestat

You track your Costs. That is Basis, or Your invested value. The "original" value as cost, and any qualified improvements should be tracked as your Basis.

This is why you need to consult your own Tax Professional. You are confusing Fair Market Value and Your Value.
"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers