Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

West Virginia Tax Credit for other states

JonathanV
Level 3

My client is a West Virginia Resident, but worked most of the year in Pennsylvania. Will West Virginia allow a credit for taxes paid to Pennsylvania? Proseries acts as if it is not allowed. Any thoughts?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Not allowed for wages because PA and WV have reciprocal agreements. PA doesn't tax the wages.

PA tax should not be withheld. He will need to fie a PA return  and get a refund from PA.

I'm not sure if PA has a special form or simplified method to get the withholding back.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

Not allowed for wages because PA and WV have reciprocal agreements. PA doesn't tax the wages.

PA tax should not be withheld. He will need to fie a PA return  and get a refund from PA.

I'm not sure if PA has a special form or simplified method to get the withholding back.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I know out here on the West Coast weve got a few reverse credit states, where the non resident state gives the credit, instead of the resident state....not sure if other states have a similar deal or not.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Just VA and CA.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

AZ and OR do it as well when CA is involved

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

No special form, just non resident return with explanation.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
JonathanV
Level 3

Should the client get a refund for the Local Taxes paid as well?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I don't think so. Maybe Daniel @Accountant-Man knows.

Check the locality website to see if they tax nonresidents.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Not for local taxes. In NJ, the credit for taxes paid to other "jurisdictions" includes local PA taxes, as well as of course Philly taxes.

NJ law doesn't say other "states" specifically so Philly wage tax and other earned income taxes are allowed.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.