Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W2 with RESTK

judys3
Level 4

I have a customer with a nice sized W2 with RESTK included $151,112.70.  The amount is included in box 1 of W2 and taxes paid at 22%.  Of course his gross W2 is $649,938.76.  Am I suppose to enter the RESTK $151,112.70 else where on the return?

Be nice..............

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

soooo, whats RESTK?  Included where on the W2?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
judys3
Level 4

The stock is included in box 1 of W2 as well as box 14 other 

sjrcpa
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- Restricted Stock

Ex-AllStar
rbynaker
Level 13

When it vests it shows up in the W-2.  When it's sold it shows up on Sch D/8949.  Ask if anything was sold (or maybe you already have that on a broker 1099-B somewhere?)

Rick

judys3
Level 4

I'm asking for 1099-B.  I have one account but am missing another. 

So when it is vested to them on W2 they pay taxes and when they sell the stock they pay taxes again as capital gain? 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"So when it is vested to them on W2 they pay taxes"

Yes, because it's a form of compensation for working there. It's a taxable benefit. Depending on the type of restrictions and the plan, it might be taxable when vested or only when distributed (made available).

"and when they sell the stock they pay taxes again as capital gain?"

The issuing is like the purchase or basis event. There are sometimes fractional sales to cover the extra taxes due at the time of vesting or issuing. Your taxpayer seems to made enough to cover the extra taxes from regular earnings. There might not be a 1099-B; that's a broker form. There might be internal sales, such as an ESOP handles the trades. There will be a statement, then.

Box 14 is an informational box; there is no one standard for its use.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

"So when it is vested to them on W2 they pay taxes" Yes. The amount they are taxed on becomes part of their basis,

and when they sell the stock they pay taxes again as capital gain? " Yes, but see above.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers