Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W-2s with Information for 2 States

MKB
Level 2

The client, an Illinois resident, received two W-2s from the same employer in Indiana. Each W-2 has the same Federal total, with one showing the same total for Indiana with Indiana withholdings and the other showing the same total for Illinois with Illinois withholdings. Illinois will not allow their return to be filed electronically because the Illinois wages plus the out of state wages do not equal the total wages. Does anybody know of a workaround so that the Illinois return can be filed electronically? Thanks.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@sjrcpa has it. 

As long as the returns are correct. Disable error checking.

There should be a credit for taxes paid on Illinois return from Indiana. 

View solution in original post

15 Comments 15
dkh
Level 15

Was it two W2s or a two page W2 so client had a Copy 2 for each state.      

Illinois wages + Indiana wages don't equal federal wages ?   

0 Cheers
MKB
Level 2

It was two W-2s. The total income from this employer was $45,000, but each W-2 showed $45,000 in Box 1 (Wages, Tips, Other Comp.) and $45,000 in Box 16 (State Wages, Tips, etc.) for both Illinois and Indiana. I just made one entry to the W-2 worksheet and included the information for both states. 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

?  Illinois resident working in Indiana    both state withholdings because Illinois is not a reciprocal state ?

Can you delete the Indiana line on W2 just to efile the Illinois return then reenter before you efile Indiana ?

0 Cheers
MKB
Level 2

That is not a bad idea. Thanks for your help.

rcooley25
Level 11

I have the same problem on a client who works in both Illinois and Indiana. The two states must eual the federal or it cannot be filed. Many companies especially working out of Indiana have people working in the payroll department that don't know their you know what from a hole in the ground.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

That sounds pretty crazy.  There are many states who calculate taxable wages differently so they're not always going to add up.

Paging @garman22 to see if he has any idea on what to do about IL.

rcooley25
Level 11

No it is not a good idea. Don't recommend you try it. 

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I don't mean to offend but you have to be kidding me with that sujestion.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

Where in the bleep did you get that information from?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Apparently the wages are fully taxable in both states.

Can you disable efile error checking and efile it?

Ex-AllStar
dkh
Level 15

@rcooley25        I think you've either had too much or maybe not enough Fireball.   

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@sjrcpa has it. 

As long as the returns are correct. Disable error checking.

There should be a credit for taxes paid on Illinois return from Indiana. 

rbynaker
Level 13

Thanks, Mike!  I was going to tag the other IL guy but I didn't want to get him more frustrated. 🙂

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Anytime, bud!!! Im always happy to help where I can. 

0 Cheers
Ephesians3-14
Level 8

Here's the answer to your question. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that your clients works for a company that is headquartered in Illinois. If so, that's how Illinois requires the W-2 to be reported - 100% Illinois wages and 100% Indiana wages. They made that legislative change several years which makes box 16 of the W-2 to look funky. 

Am I right? The employer on the W-2 in question is a company HEADQUARTERED in Illinois, yes?

0 Cheers